Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Lake Drop In vs. Fitted - M&P9

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Storm Lake Drop In vs. Fitted - M&P9

I have a chance to pick up a Storm Lake Drop In threaded barrel for my M&P9 and wanted to know if this would be a comparable option to the Storm Lake Fitted barrels I've seen discussed here recently which seem to be much more accurate?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    From what I have read here, no. The drop-in SL barrel isn't even close to the fitted barrel in terms of accuracy but may be a little better than the S&W original barrel on some pistols. For that matter, however, later model S&W barrels may be better than some of the earlier model barrels. AFAIK, if you need a threaded barrel, a drop-in barrel may be your only option. Check with Randy Lee, see if he's doing threaded barrels. Grant might also be doing some, not sure.

I had a Storm Lake barrel fitted for my M&P 9L. Took it from 6-7 inch groups to 2 inch groups (25 yd sandbag). Cost me $200 (not including shipping) and 30 days.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-31-13 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    From what I have read here, no. The drop-in SL barrel isn't even close to the fitted barrel in terms of accuracy but may be a little better than the S&W original barrel on some pistols. For that matter, however, later model S&W barrels may be better than some of the earlier model barrels. AFAIK, if you need a threaded barrel, a drop-in barrel may be your only option. Check with Randy Lee, see if he's doing threaded barrels. Grant might also be doing some, not sure.

I had a Storm Lake barrel fitted for my M&P 9L. Took it from 6-7 inch groups to 2 inch groups (25 yd sandbag). Cost me $200 (not including shipping) and 30 days.
    Who did the fitting?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Re: Storm Lake Drop In vs. Fitted - M&P9

Did you use G&R? I assumed the fitted would be better but wanted to make sure. Guess I'll pass on this offer and send it off to Grant if he's still doing that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    Who did the fitting?
    Grant did the fitting. 30 days and $200. Nothing to complain about there. It was an excellent job.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A Match Fit Barrel will, in most cases, be superior in bench accuracy from a OE & Drop in Barrel for the M&P or Glock. The difference will be more apparent with longer distance shots/groups. 20+ yards.
    Last edited by SPDGG; 08-31-13 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    Is reliability compromised at all w/ the barrel?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Is reliability compromised at all w/ the barrel?
    It sure wasn't for me. The thing runs like a watch.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    or you can buy one of the newest generation M&P's with the newer "dot" barrel, and be good to go, and have ALOT more money left over to buy things, like ammo, glitter parties at the strip club, whatever

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by azeriosu85 View Post
    or you can buy one of the newest generation M&P's with the newer "dot" barrel, and be good to go, and have ALOT more money left over to buy things, like ammo, glitter parties at the strip club, whatever
    What is this "dot" barrel? When did this generation get released?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast