Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm: A question about practice ammo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

9mm: A question about practice ammo

I've looked but havent found any answers to my particular question, which is: What are you using for practice ammo and what do you find to be the most satisfactory and why? For instance, I shot a hodge podge of S&B, Rem UMC (plated), Win, and Federal 115gr FMJ and was all over the place. Do you find any particular brand, weight, etc to perform better than any other?

I am now exclusively shooting a PPQ M2. Since money is always an issue, I normally choose to practice with 115 FMJ. I felt that the Federal 115gr FMJ was giving the most consistent accuracy / groups.
    Should I look at 124gr and / or JHP? Other brands? Or is this akin to hunting a unicorn?

Disclaimer: I used the search button and didn't find anything that really covered what I was looking for. Also it seems the Reloading & Ammunition forum is more orientated towards 5.56. Having said that, if the mods feel that this should be moved or closed, it's their board. If someones search-fu works better than mine, please post the links.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Reloading aside, for bulk plinking ammo I normally buy WWB or S&B based upon price and availability. Both shoot reasonably well and I have not had any problem with cycling or any failures with these two choices of ammo. As to whether or not they are dirtier than other options I have found most ammo to leave about the same amount of residue and haven't had a problem cleaning it off. These days with prices being where they are I mostly reload, but that is a whole other conversation. I moved to reloading due to the cost of ammo. If you want to know more PM me and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I shoot Glock 9mm for semi-autos - the 26, 19 and 17. I have had very good luck with S&B 124-grain FMJ 9mm factory ammo. I bought a bunch last fall, and have been using it only for classes this year. Very accurate, and no ammo-related issues. I'm been shooting reloads for practice sessions, that has been Berry's plated bullets with range scavenged brass.

The 642 eats .38 reloads like a starving college kid at a Chinese buffet. Anything and everything.

Feedback Score
    For anything out to 25 yards I have found that any good commercial brass cased ammunition shoots the same through my G23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel. I have a match prepped Beretta 92f with a KKM match barrel. At 25 yards everything groups well. Reloading is cheaper, but you probably won't see much of a difference at normal training distances no matter what you use.

Feedback Score
    Winchester 9mm 124 grain NATO...Good practice ammo.. Velocity is very close to other Winchester 124 grain hollow points, PDX1, Ranger Bonded and if you use adjustable sights the grouping stays very close to the same without haveing to readjust the sights..

Feedback Score
    Bang for the buck; the most consistent ammunition that I have found to be both economical and accurate is CCI Blazer (brass and aluminum) the Speer loadings are good too but more expensive.

Lately, at least in my area finding any 9mm ball ammo of any brand isn't easy. And if you do find some the prices are typically high $18-25 per box. I bought 250 rounds of PMC 9mm 115 fmj for $96.00 a few weeks ago. I shot a couple of boxes through my HK USP 9C and it was pretty accurate at 15 yards.

It may take some time to find the right load for your pistol. I second the suggestion of reloading if it is feasible for you. I don't at the moment but if things stay how they are I will start myself. The most difficult component to source are the primers. Save your brass because it may come in handy later.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen the best accuracy out of my Glock 17, 19 & 34 with PMC 115g FMJ.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Mostly what I shoot ( glock 17 ) is American eagle 124 gr which I have in bulk and seems to have more availability in my area. It been pretty reliable for me. I also shoot a lot of Remington disintigrator 9mm +P at my local range only because that's all my range offers and it beats from having to use my own. Its also more consistent as far as felt recoil with my carry ammo Winchester ranger +p . Downside is frangible ammo is $$$ and is hard to clean
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; 09-03-13 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    Anything I can find. I mostly prefer Blazer Aluminum just because of the cost.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    I've looked but havent found any answers to my particular question, which is: What are you using for practice ammo and what do you find to be the most satisfactory and why? For instance, I shot a hodge podge of S&B, Rem UMC (plated), Win, and Federal 115gr FMJ and was all over the place. Do you find any particular brand, weight, etc to perform better than any other?

I am now exclusively shooting a PPQ M2. Since money is always an issue, I normally choose to practice with 115 FMJ. I felt that the Federal 115gr FMJ was giving the most consistent accuracy / groups.
    Should I look at 124gr and / or JHP? Other brands? Or is this akin to hunting a unicorn?
    Range/pinking/IDPA, ammo, what ever I can actually find at a price (almost) worth paying.

When I was shooting 1911s, I tended to be a bit more picky on ammo (always had good luck with Winchester white box, and spotty feeding with PMC for example) but after going to the M&P 9mm, it's been a garbage eater since day one.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast