Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help my spend 3k+ Larue OBR or Larue PredatOBR? 7.62 battle Rifle

Feedback Score
    Is LaRue not making the PredatAR anymore? Mine in 7.62 is about a 1 MOA rifle, in my hands anyway. The skinny barrel does heat up after 11-15ish rounds but groups never get bigger than about 1.3" (if they were 1" when cold).

Feedback Score

Re: Help my spend 3k+ Larue OBR or Larue PredatOBR? 7.62 battle Rifle

The LaRue is a great gun. I have a lot of trigger time behind an obr and I currently have the predatOBR on order. About 3 days ago I got an email from LaRue. It looks like the predatOBR orders are still at least a year out if you order today. Just kind of a heads up if you decide to go that route.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    I will place a vote for the MWS. There's alot of information out there on them already so I'm not going to ramble on about the accuracy of these guns. I will just say that my personal MWS with either the 16" chrome lined barrel or the 16" stainless barrel will shoot 8-9 shots all within or slightly under 1"/100yds. The other few from the 10 shot groups are always called fliers caused by me, not the rifle. I'm positive of that haha.

So the actual reason I'm posting here is to talk about my 16" CL barrel. I also was also a bit unenthusiastic about the weight of the MWS. So I did what any savvy gun owner would do and sent my CL barrel to Adco and had him take a good amount of metal off. I think it saved nearly half a pound, something more to the tune of 6.5 oz but you get my point. So now I have a very nice, easier to manage "battle rifle"with the one barrel and the option to switch over to a heavier barrel if I decide I want too. Which is rare because the CL 16 did not lose any apparent accuracy and it weighs less so why bother? Just an option to keep in mind...

Last edited by bleaman225; 09-06-13 at 06:28. Reason: Edited to add picture

Feedback Score
    I've shot three of the rifles in your bunch: SCAR, LMT and LaRue.

I own a LMT MWS w/ 16" CL barrel. It's a bit of a pig, and you can feel the weight when you carry it around. The difference is that you can easily switch calibers (if you get the other barrels) and you can really tune it in. The good part about the weight is that it's recoil isn't that bad because there's some weight in the rifle to soak up a bit of the recoil. I'm not a big guy, so recoil matters to me: I'm a sissy about recoil.

I also own a LaRue PredatAR 16" 7.62. Mine averages 1/2"@100m. The best group that I've gotten was .3" the worst I've gotten was .8", and that was what it opened up to, after about 30 rounds. When you feel the weight and balance of it, it's hard to believe that it's a full caliber gun.... Then I pull the trigger. I have a standard birdcage on it currently, and I kinda get pushed around a bit. I'm not a big guy, so recoil matters to me. Again, I'm a sissy about recoil.

I did not enjoy the SCAR as much as the other two. Environment might have had something to do with it. The accuracy was fine, the trigger was 'OK', but the weight was a concern. Again, it had to do with the totality of the environment.

For civilian use (plinking, hunting, hogging, whatever/etc.), I'd pick either the LaRue or the MWS. If you want it now, MWS is the option I'd pick.

Lastly, my sample size is exactly three, and I don't have experience with other manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just curious about the need to take PMAGs? SCAR 17 mags are easier to find right now. Understand if you have other 7.62 rifles that take PMAG 20LRs, but if not I don't really get it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I placed an order for an OBR a few months ago, so you know which way my vote will go. I was not looking for a battle riffle per se, but wanted a more accurate 7.62 gas gun so I ordered the 18" barrel version.

They told me "over a year" for the wait, but it does not bother me, since it gives me the time to save up the $3500+ for it. In the mean time, my name is on the list.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Don't forget that Armalite's AR-10A takes the original AR-10/KAC/7.62 PMAG as well (base price $1571 MSRP, weight 7.9 pounds).

The standard barrel is a 1.5 MOA rifle while the 10T barrel gives match performance.

The standard barrel version below weighs just under 11 pounds with a Leupold TS-30 in a Larue mount, Larue float rail, and an LMT SOPMOD stock. The Match barrel weighs 9 ounces more.

The AR-10A upper also fits the OBR:

The OBR upper fits the KAC and LMT lower:

There is still no 7.62 AR standard (besides maybe the 7.62 PMAG).

Feedback Score
    Another vote here for the LaRue PredatAR 762. Love mine! Haven't shot for groups as I still don't have glass for it. With the irons several of us were able to hit steel at 50 and 100 without trouble and get fast follow up shots. It's light but still handles the .308 quite well IMO.

Haven't got a can for it (yet). But the reviews I've read from owners who do say the concern over the thinner profile bbl are not there.

Besides, the PredatAR is much less money than the tOBR - leaving you more money for glass, ammo, training, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    KAC > GAP10 > OBR > LMT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Just curious about the need to take PMAGs? SCAR 17 mags are easier to find right now. Understand if you have other 7.62 rifles that take PMAG 20LRs, but if not I don't really get it.
    It really comes down to picking a system with the MOST amount of different magazines out there that would work for it. I'm a magazine whore and buy more than enough magazines for my guns and like the idea of having cheap, and a lot of different options for magazines... But, with a Handl lower you can make a SCAR run SR25/Pmags.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I really wish there were more firsthand reviews on the Colt and PredatOBR and the quick change barrel. The ADCO barrel reduction on the MWS does make it a lot more appealing.

At this point I am really in love with the KAC ECC (already have some SR15 lowers that have been bomb proof... just not thrilled with the SR25 price tag) but would buy the Colt/SCAR if I found one in stock for the right price.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast