Thread: AAC Cyclone vs SWR Specwar 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AAC Cyclone vs SWR Specwar 7.62

I'm fairly sure I'm ready to dive into suppressor ownership, and I'm in a quandry - there are probably five platforms I'd like to suppress with one can. The list is:

- .308 bolt gun
    - .300 BLK upper (not built yet, but I'm thinking a 8.5-11.5" barrel)
    - 5.56 10.5" bbl upper
    - 5.56 16" bbl upper
    - 5.56 18" bbl upper

Obviously, none would be a dedicated host, and I'd be varying between 1/2-28 and 5/8-24.

The direct-mount Cyclone would have the benefit of being far cheaper, mount-wise ($26/each for a couple 1/2 to 5/8 thread adapters) and a more repeatable POI shift on the scoped rifles, with the downside of having to actually swap out muzzle devices on the barrels when I wanted to use the suppressor.

The QD Specwar would have the benefit of being QD and having functional brake/hiders on the guns, with the obvious downside of needing specific mounts (I'd probably trim the lists of hosts to three going this route) adding another $300+ to the cost of the can.

I guess what I'm really asking, is the QD function worth the additional cost? (~$400 when all is said and done)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    AAC SDN-6. It is impressive on my .308, and awesome on the .300blk and 5.56 sbrs I have. I wash I could trade all my rifle cans for multiple SDN-6 cans. And QD vs thread on isn't a clear answer regarding bolt gun accuracy- I've got both and both increased accuracy over the stick rifle & there are several threads regarding that on this forum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So spend a little more for the shorter QD can (AAC SDN-6)?

It seems as if there are a lot of mixed opinions on things like "51T isn't good enough for a precision rifle." The rifle shoots about 3/4 MOA with factory match loads, and I haven't really worked up a proper handload for it. If I can maintain a repeatable POI shift, I'd be ok with that, I think.

One feature I like after looking at the SDN-6 you reccomend, is that I can get specific 1/2-28 5.56 QD mounts that will work with the SDN-6 as opposed to adapting the SWR QD mounts to the ARs. Or am I missing something on the SWR side of things?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There's a lot of opinions on precision rifles and specific QD mounts and thread on cans. My bolt .308 (Rem 700P, cut to 20") uses a QD YHM 7.62 can, which has an easily repeatable mount and POI change seems consistent. At the same time, that rifle is pretty forgiving- my cold fouled bore has no poi change. So I could be lucky. Either way (can or not) it's a sub-MOA rifle with FGMM 175.

The SDN-6 is on a Sig 716 patrol rifle, not really set up for precision so I can't give you a very good set of data for with can vs not with can using the 51T. And I actually have two SDN-6 cans and haven't even been keeping track of which one i use each time.

My .223 bolt gun (Rem 700LTR) has a Gemtech M4-02 thread on. That rifle is barely capable of 1.5 MOA without the can, but with the can it's a better than .5MOA gun.

There are a ton of variables involved, but I suspect that you'll see an improvement in accuracy even with a QD can, and using it on multiple guns, especially with the size of the SDN-6, goes a long way in the "pros" list for me.

Yes, the multiple mount options are nice, and they all have worked smoothly for me- I have a pretty good variety of 5.56 and .300blk Rifles, plus the 716 all with either Blackout or Brakeout 51T mounts.
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 09-05-13 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    How fast/abusive are you going to be?

The cyclone is a great can (quiet/accurate) but I wouldn't want to abuse it too hard. It is also long and heavier then other options. I also do not believe it has Inconel baffles so the SDN-6 would be more resistant to heat. Another thing to keep in mind a lot of uppers come with 51T flash hiders (I have 3 collecting dust in my parts bin)... you can usually buy them really cheap second hand. (i.e. if you buy an AAC upper it will come with a 51T).

Another option right now is that Thunderbeast is having a group buy sale. It is a TI can so it will be lighter then the Cyclone and gets really good praise in the Sniper/Comp crowd.

I personally went Surefire (but they are expensive). For the price I think the SDN-6 would be a great buy. A good friend bought a Cyclone (should be here in the next 2 months) but his purpose for the can is a 300 blackout Handi rifle and light use on a bolt-gun and M1A.
    Last edited by domestique; 09-05-13 at 19:41.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score

cyclone owner

I have a 51T mounted AAC SPR M4, and cyclone. For multiple hosts I would stick to a direct thread can. Excellent thread adapters are available. The .30 can still works very well on the smaller guns.

D