Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing a BCG between 2 MWS barrels

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Sharing a BCG between 2 MWS barrels

I am planning on getting another .308 barrel for my LMT MWSE. Will I run into any issues if I will "share" the same BCG between the two barrels?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Generally not the preferred thing to do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Isn't that how and why the LMT MWS was designed?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Generally not the preferred thing to do.
    How so? That system is made to be interchangeable.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    I have done it every time I swapped from my SS to CL barrels. I was always under the impression that was the way it was done. I'm curious to hear the thoughts on why it wouldn't be a good idea.

If BCG were actually supposed to be swapped with barrels, it would be peachy if LMT actually offered MWS BCGs for purchase.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use the same bolt when swapping between .308 and .338 Fed. While I haven't shot that much .338 Fed, I never had a problem.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Call it a Freudian slip.......the "not" was not meant to be typed.
    As others have stated, bolt is to be used with multiple barrels with the LMT.

Apologies for the .......confusion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would get a bolt for each barrel, but only one carrier would be no problem.

Feedback Score
    I have had my LMT308MWS for a couple of years now and have had not only the 16in CL barrel which came with the rifle but also a 20in CL barrel which I ordered shortly after I purchased the rifle and have been swapping barrels since with not one malfunction.

I have always checked the alignment and fit of the 20in barrel and everything lines up perfectly just like the 16in that came with my MWS.
    Just to note, I have had little to no play in my barrels - meaning no wiggling / twisting when inserting the barrels before torquing it down. I have seen some videos of people and their MWS's where the barrel has some play and they had to make sure the barrel / gas tube was properly lined up and centered before torquing.

I don't see any problem with swapping LMT308MWS barrels just as long as the barrel is high quality like the ones LMT make for the MWS but if you were to find a barrel for the MWS that is custom you may have to double check fit and finish and maybe measure head spacing...etc. I to believe the MWS and barrels where designed to be a quick barrel change system without swapping bolts.
    Also I have been looking for a spare LMT308MWS BCG or even just another bolt but LMT doesn't sell them for some reason. I have talked with LMT in the past about this but that was probably close to 2 years ago and I understood it at the time with the MWS being in production as a military rifle system and they told me they were just catching up with Mil production and once they did they would start offering spare BCG's for the MWS to the civilian market. Like I said this was about 2 years ago when they told me this and I still don't see anything out there for spare MWS bolts or whole BCG's.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever had a problem swapping 308 MWS barrels and if so was it a bolt issue or fit of the barrel...etc.

Thanks and sorry if this was a dead subject (kinda been away from the forums for a while) but this kinda caught my eye while searching for where to find more barrel options for the LMT MWS. Which I'm still searching for.

Thanks again
    God bless our troops.

Don't care to list but I feel I need something down here.

Rifle systems =
    Daniel Defense DDM4 V4 (RS MOD).
    LWRC M6A2 SPR.
    LMT308MWS
    Remington 700P LTR (GAP mods).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 5.56 used to share BCG's with my 6x45. Now my 300 Blackout shares a BCG with the 6x45. No issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast