View Poll Results: Best 223/5.56mm Ammo for defense/offense?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • XM193 55 Grain

28 16.09%
  • M855 62 Grain

12 6.90%
  • MK262 77 Grain

32 18.39%
  • TAP 55 Grain

10 5.75%
  • TAP 75 Grain

84 48.28%
  • Other (State why, with data if available)

11 6.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .223/5.56 for Defensive/Offensive applications???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Also, in Nam the rifling was a different twist than what is currently common
    Agreed. Even after Nam, the twist was 1:12 on the A1's with a 20 inch barrel (which I first cut my teeth on) until adopting the A2 in the mid 80's. I don't know if this is off base, but wouldn't a faster spin (1:7) increase fragmentation or is the difference (1:12 v 1:7) too inconsequential within a certain distance and barrel length?
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Also, in Nam the rifling was a different twist than what is currently common
    I wouldn't think the rifling would make much of a difference so long as the round was sufficiently stabilized by the imparted spin. What would make a difference would be the barrel length with regards to velocity (fragmentation range) as the commonly issued M16s had a barrel length of 20" vs the 14.5" or 16" more often seen today. Of course 11.5" Colt Commando vs. 10.5" CQBR Mk. 18 is going to be 6 in one half dozen in the other.

Also I don't know that a 150lb NVA Charlie full of political fervor executing a bayonet charge is going to be any more "frail" or susceptible to M193 than Johnny With The Substance Abuse Problem coming into my home in the middle of the night looking to rip off my stuff and maybe rape my girlfriend. I would believe it is going to be equally effective on either target, but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    How does Privi 75grain stack up against MK262 and Tap 77grn?

Is the Privi 75grn considered match ammo?
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    How does Privi 75grain stack up against MK262 and Tap 77grn?

Is the Privi 75grn considered match ammo?
    Excellent Question! Also how does the BH 77gr Match King compare I wonder. I was under the impression it was loaded to .223 SAAMI vs. Mk262 which is loaded to 5.56 NATO. Perhaps I am wrong?

Feedback Score
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Folks this information is well known...do we really need to rehash it again???? If so, please read: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

-----------------------------------

For those folks who think the 55 gr M193 FMJ is a great 5.56 mm load for self-defense, the following quote was written by Dr. Martin Fackler, the man who has done more research on the M193 than anyone else on this planet:

“In 1980, I treated a soldier shot accidentally with an M16 M193 bullet from a distance of about ten feet. The bullet entered his left thigh and traveled obliquely upward. It exited after passing through about 11 inches of muscle. The man walked in to my clinic with no limp whatsoever: the entrance and exit holes were about 4 mm across, and punctate. X-ray films showed intact bones, no bullet fragments, and no evidence of significant tissue disruption caused by the bullet’s temporary cavity. The bullet path passed well lateral to the femoral vessels. He was back on duty in a few days. Devastating? Hardly. The wound profile of the M193 bullet (page 29 of the Emergency War Surgery—NATO Handbook, GPO, Washington, D.C., 1988) shows that most often the bullet travels about five inches through flesh before beginning significant yaw. But about 15% of the time, it travels much farther than that before yawing—in which case it causes even milder wounds, if it missed bones, guts, lung, and major blood vessels. In my experience and research, at least as many M16 users in Vietnam concluded that it produced unacceptably minimal, rather than “massive”, wounds. After viewing the wound profile, recall that the Vietnamese were small people, and generally very slim. Many M16 bullets passed through their torsos traveling mostly point forward, and caused minimal damage. Most shots piercing an extremity, even in the heavier-built Americans, unless they hit bone, caused no more damage than a 22 caliber rimfire bullet.”

Fackler, ML: “Literature Review”. Wound Ballistics Review; 5(2):40, Fall 2001

Feedback Score

Talking

Sorry about the aggravation Doc...This and other subjects like lube, should be "Tacked" to prevent further irritation and increase quick reference to ground previously covered. A thousand pardons!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thanks for coming in Doc.
    Mods- is there any way that DocGKR's quoted info can be tacked here to avoid sending people over to TOS?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Thanks for coming in Doc.
    Mods- is there any way that DocGKR's quoted info can be tacked here to avoid sending people over to TOS?
    Here here!!

Thanks for once again imparting your wisdom and knowledge on us.

Still though I do wonder where PRVI 75 gr OTM stacks up against the T2 and SMK.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully we'll be testing some soon and I'll post the info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the results!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast