View Poll Results: Best 223/5.56mm Ammo for defense/offense?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • XM193 55 Grain

28 16.09%
  • M855 62 Grain

12 6.90%
  • MK262 77 Grain

32 18.39%
  • TAP 55 Grain

10 5.75%
  • TAP 75 Grain

84 48.28%
  • Other (State why, with data if available)

11 6.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .223/5.56 for Defensive/Offensive applications???

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks to reading what Dr. Roberts has posted over the years, with the facts posted to backup what he recommends, I load the Hornady 75 gr 5.56mm loading in my AR and the Winchester 147 gr (RA9T) in my pistol when off duty.

Dr. Roberts wouldn't want to know what I am issued as duty rounds (WWB 147JHP 9mm and Winchester 55gr Silvertip in .223), for 1,100 officers, as it might make him scream!

Our Range Master recently referred to our 9mm duty round (WWB) as "New technology". I feel he assumes any pistol round that is not a FMJ is "New technology"!

The politics involved in changing ammunition are astronomical... Still trying though.

Doc, thanks for sharing all of your experience. You're efforts, I am sure, will assist someone in coming home alive someday.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the very kind words. Let me know if I can provide any information to help you in your situation. Feel free to call contact me.

Feedback Score
    Doc,

What are your thoughts on Corbon 53 grain? Do you characterize this in the same class as TBBC or does it behave differently enough to warrant its own classification?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is this the same Mk 262 mod 1 that's been mentioned? This was at Cabela's and was priced at $35.99. I can't find Hornady 5.56 NATO anywhere and this seems like the second best thing. I also picked up a box of Hornady 75gr .223 today that my dealer sells for $15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Is this the same Mk 262 mod 1 that's been mentioned? This was at Cabela's and was priced at $35.99. I can't find Hornady 5.56 NATO anywhere and this seems like the second best thing. I also picked up a box of Hornady 75gr .223 today that my dealer sells for $15.

Damn I wish I had a Cabelas nearby! Do the rounds have a cannelure? If so it is Mk 262 mod 1. Nice score, I wish I could find that stuff locally, TAP FPD is the best I can do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Damn I wish I had a Cabelas nearby! Do the rounds have a cannelure? If so it is Mk 262 mod 1. Nice score, I wish I could find that stuff locally, TAP FPD is the best I can do.
    Yes they do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice. I have had trouble just finding that stuff (Mk. 262 Mod 1) online.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I keep a PMAG loaded with LE223T3 in my AR. No matter whether I need to punch a windshield, or there is nothing at all between the target and I, it will penetrate 12"+, expand to AT LEAST 1.6x it's diameter, and the round is sealed neck and primer. The only downside is that it makes anything else seem WOLF cheap at the register .

Here are the results of me playing with some of it before I decided it was what I should have for my loaded SHTF mag:

(recovered slug from water jugs shot at about 80 yards)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I keep a PMAG loaded with LE223T3 in my AR. No matter whether I need to punch a windshield, or there is nothing at all between the target and I, it will penetrate 12"+, expand to AT LEAST 1.6x it's diameter, and the round is sealed neck and primer. The only downside is that it makes anything else seem WOLF cheap at the register .

Here are the results of me playing with some of it before I decided it was what I should have for my loaded SHTF mag:

(recovered slug from water jugs shot at about 80 yards)

[IMG]293g5j5.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]jpg[/IMG]
    You're not worried about it penetrating multiple walls?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    You're not worried about it penetrating multiple walls?
    I live in a campus appartment and thus cannot keep a weapon there. The AR stays out at my Dad's house which is in a dead-end neighborhood that we own, the house is brick.

If I were to fire the weapon inside the house, I would do so from the kneeling position as I do not have a plan to go "hunting" people down in the house, but rather am purely defensive and would let them come into the hall/room, ID, and fire if neccesary. This means any rounds missing/overpenetrating would not be at a level that would harm anyone more than a few feet behind them as I would be firing up at at least a 30* angle and aiming at chest/head.

When I move to a different complex and can keep the weapon with me, I will switch to 40gr VMAX and train to shoot to lock-back (recoil is non-existant with 40gr VMAX, my FSC556, and Enidine buffer in a 20" platform, I can literally pull the trigger as fast as I can and get good hits at a room-size distance.) and count on amount of trauma to win the day as penetration will suck, BUT through a sheetrock wall it wont do jack.

You do raise a VERY good point for people in housing complexes though that are not in my unique situation (in the middle of nowhere).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast