Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FNH FNS 9 Review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

FNH FNS 9 Review

I've had the FNS since last November of last year and have been putting a good bit of rounds through it to date and here's what I've found.

Pros:
    -100% reliable thus far
    -Comes with 3x 17 round magazines
    -I like the night sights with the wide "u" notch rear
    -It's more accurate than I am
    -Reasonably priced vs. its' competitors
    -Low bore axis
    -Cold hammer forged barrel
    -Standard 1913 rail
    -Ambi mag release and slide lock
    -Great ergos
    -Forward and rear cocking serrations
    -Ease of maintenance
    -Comes with interchangeable flat and arched backstraps
    -Extractor doubles as a loaded chamber indicator like a Glock

Cons:
    -I think the trigger's a little heavy (breaks between 6-7 pounds)
    -FN seems to have fixed the initial trigger locking issues but the gun took a hit to its' reputation when it was released from this for sure
    -The standard model has an external safety. The LE restricted model doesn't. I'd like to see them offer both to everyone as many folks do not want an external safety.
    -Aftermarket magazine availability is an issue compared to its' competitors

Here's a video with a little shooting, a demonstration of how to break the gun down, a size comparison with a G17/1911 for those unfamiliar with it, and a discussion of the features of the gun:

FNS 9mm HD Video Review Link

Feedback Score

FNS

Good to see someone with a long term eval of the FNS. What type of accuracy are you seeing (at 10, 15, 25 yds)? Also, the external safety isn't a total turnoff to me. Not that I see a need; however, not a deal breaker either way. I would like to see the safety be a bit bigger so one can positively disengage it. Have you seen any issues with this? Trouble disengaging with sweaty hands? While wearing gloves? Are you able to "ride" the safety like that of a 1911 when firing or do you find it so small that the shooting thumb comes off of it during recoil?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great videos as always mr gng

Feedback Score

-Great ergos

To expound upon this I would like to add that the backstraps change the feel of the pistol considerably. One of them makes it ride like a 1911 in my hand and the other feels "normal".

Would also like to add that the stipling or grip texturing is very aggresive. I love it because you can get an excellent grip even wet, but it may not be for everyone. After 200 rounds you will probably have some hot spots on your hands.

I only have about 400 rounds through mine, but also flawless reliability.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Great review as always.

My FNS 40 has been stellar through about 1500 rounds. Mine seems to have less recoil than most other 40 designs out there, in fact when one of my co workers who shoots Glock 9's exclusively shot my FNS he was surprised at the lack of recoil and asked if it was a 9.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Great review as always.

My FNS 40 has been stellar through about 1500 rounds. Mine seems to have less recoil than most other 40 designs out there, in fact when one of my co workers who shoots Glock 9's exclusively shot my FNS he was surprised at the lack of recoil and asked if it was a 9.
    Agreed. The low bore axis is great. My wife likes likes how soft it shoots in 9mm as well.
    Last edited by plouffedaddy; 09-13-13 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Excellent review. None of my guns are 9mm and I've been looking at the FNS 9 to be my first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I test-fired one of these briefly a few weeks ago. Very impressive piece of kit, but the trigger pull could be lighter. I'd bet that spring kits are just a few months away...

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With my hands and a high proper grip, when I push the ambi safety, it hits on the finger on the other side and mag dosent drop. No thanks.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score

Slide not locking back?

Nice review, have you had any trouble with the slide not locking back on the last round? I've had it happen with four different magazines, four different ammo types (all factory), and four different grips. Very random and just when I think it is not going to happen again it crops back up again.

Guess I need to find a gunsmith and see if something needs adjusting, but just wondering about your thoughts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast