Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Long Term SHTF Question/ Decision Topic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    I guess it depends on what you determine well enough is. It took months to restore electricity to some areas of NOLA after Katrina. Some areas hit by Sandy took 6-8 wks. If that happened at the beginning of planting season on a wide enough scale then the acres per bushel yield would drop dramatically assuming planting would even be able to be completed. What if refineries were out of commission for several months? There are plenty of shit storm scenarios out there that would put the US in dire straits. Do I think the probability is high? No. I also would have never expected to see and experience what I did in NOLA after Katrina. Bad stuff happening is not nearly as far away as most would like to think.
    New Orleans was a freak situation. Build a city in a hole and you're going to get water. They can't work on it until it's drained. And it didn't help that the electric companies were already on the verge of bankruptcy and in lousy shape. I remember living there for a couple of years in the 70's. I remember peeking through the windows of one of their pumping stations and seeing equipment that looked like it ought to be an antiquity in a museum. I stood atop the levee at the river noting the height of the water on one side and the land on the other side and decided the place was a disaster in waiting. For someone born there, I think it was too easy to ignore it. For someone from the outside, it definitely didn't look like a place to buy a home and bring up a family.

We look at the people that choose to live on fault lines, arid areas, volcano zones, flood zones, etc., and wonder why they do it. But it's all to easy to ignore future probabilities. We may not know about surprise scenarios, but the scenarios that are just a matter of time, should ring an alarm bell with us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This was exactly my point in post number 29 on page 2. Without modern tech a lot of "experts" are SOL.
    Agreed.

A skilled individual in a particular trade would need to be adaptable and be able to use other objects in the absence of the normal tools, unless he already has the tools at hand.

As far as what type of engineer is most useful, definitely electrical or civil engineer. Not sure how many of those are around though. Your basic experienced electrician should suffice IMO. I don't know what could substitute for a Civil Eng, maybe an experienced contractor or carpenter?

With EMP's, there are only a couple of reasonable causes for those-- Mainly a nuclear attack. If you are in the blast radius of one, well you probably won't surive. If you did, consider yourself lucky. If you are outside of the blast zone and still affected by the EMP, there's still hope. Not everything has to run on electricity. many of our ancestors lived without it. You can do most of your basic daily duties without electricity as long as you have the survival skills and the will to live. Having a small community or group of individuals is even better.

Someone mention having a good supply of water, or having a source of a water supply and purification. 1 Gallon/person/day is too much in a SHTF situation. You can live with maybe about 2cups of water per person in a day.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    CME's and nuclear detonations are the only sources for EMP's AFAIK. Roughly a month ago the earth missed a massive CME by about 12 days; the CME hit where the earth had been approx. two wks. prior.

As far as what skills would be in demand simply having the ability and mindset to work long hours and physically demanding jobs would put one well above most.
    Last edited by 6933; 10-09-13 at 12:05. Reason: spellin'

Feedback Score
    Has anyone else had a time trying to explain, what we believe, is to come of america, to their wives?

I have tried to prepare her and explain the things that will take place, but i don't sense an urgency as i have, nor a true strong belief. Perhaps being in the military has changed my perspective and readiness, and its hard to get someone else to understand.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    CME's and nuclear detonations are the only sources for EMP's AFAIK. Roughly a month ago the earth missed a massive CME by about 12 days; the CME hit where the earth had been approx. two wks. prior.
    Yeah, scary stuff. Given enough time, it's almost a certainty we'll experience another CME at least as powerful as the Carrington Event of 1859, and who ever has solar exposure then is going to be in a world of hurt. I personally think it's more likely than a nuke getting lobbed our way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger_1999 View Post
    Has anyone else had a time trying to explain, what we believe, is to come of america, to their wives?
    Nope, I'm blessed. She is thankful for my lifestyle.

Have her sit down and watch some of these movies, might light a fire under her . . .

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84164
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger_1999 View Post

I have tried to prepare her and explain the things that will take place, but i don't sense an urgency as i have, nor a true strong belief. Perhaps being in the military has changed my perspective and readiness, and its hard to get someone else to understand.
    Yes, but my wife says she relies on me to "be prepared" for whatever, so she doesn't worry about it at the same level I keep up to date or analyze it. She happily plays along with my odd behavior stocking up and trying out preps and learning new skills.

Your wife may just have confidence in you and not see a need for her to get more involved. It would be ideal to have her fully on board, but quiet support is better than not.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Someone mention having a good supply of water, or having a source of a water supply and purification. 1 Gallon/person/day is too much in a SHTF situation. You can live with maybe about 2cups of water per person in a day.
    Maybe so, but you'll eventually need more water for cooking and hygiene.

Feedback Score
    Lots of people like to talk big about not needing water, but I've seen enough people go down (including hospitalization) to know better.

You want a lot of water.

You'll need even more for cooking and hygeine.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not sure where you got this information from but it's completely incorrect. Yes, you can survive if you are sedentary and sitting indoors all day not exerting yourself. Having been a victim of heat casualty I can tell you that it can and will happen if you are not careful.

But, if you become active (as in improving the home defense, evading douchebags, etc...) you will dehydrate quickly. Also, in some parts of the U.S (Arizona for example) you will need at least that amount.

As mentioned by others you will also need water for hygiene, etc... I would use disposable flatware, dishes, etc.. as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Agreed.

A skilled individual in a particular trade would need to be adaptable and be able to use other objects in the absence of the normal tools, unless he already has the tools at hand.

As far as what type of engineer is most useful, definitely electrical or civil engineer. Not sure how many of those are around though. Your basic experienced electrician should suffice IMO. I don't know what could substitute for a Civil Eng, maybe an experienced contractor or carpenter?

With EMP's, there are only a couple of reasonable causes for those-- Mainly a nuclear attack. If you are in the blast radius of one, well you probably won't surive. If you did, consider yourself lucky. If you are outside of the blast zone and still affected by the EMP, there's still hope. Not everything has to run on electricity. many of our ancestors lived without it. You can do most of your basic daily duties without electricity as long as you have the survival skills and the will to live. Having a small community or group of individuals is even better.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast