Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Long Term SHTF Question/ Decision Topic

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Agreed.

A skilled individual in a particular trade would need to be adaptable and be able to use other objects in the absence of the normal tools, unless he already has the tools at hand.

As far as what type of engineer is most useful, definitely electrical or civil engineer. Not sure how many of those are around though. Your basic experienced electrician should suffice IMO. I don't know what could substitute for a Civil Eng, maybe an experienced contractor or carpenter?

With EMP's, there are only a couple of reasonable causes for those-- Mainly a nuclear attack. If you are in the blast radius of one, well you probably won't surive. If you did, consider yourself lucky. If you are outside of the blast zone and still affected by the EMP, there's still hope. Not everything has to run on electricity. many of our ancestors lived without it. You can do most of your basic daily duties without electricity as long as you have the survival skills and the will to live. Having a small community or group of individuals is even better.

Someone mention having a good supply of water, or having a source of a water supply and purification. 1 Gallon/person/day is too much in a SHTF situation. You can live with maybe about 2cups of water per person in a day.
    I can't agree with this.
    If I don't get at minimum 3/4 of a gallon of water per day I get sick and massive headaches that are distracting enough that I can't function. My wife needs at least 1/3 of a gallon or its the same for her.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    2 cups of water a day isn't nearly enough. We were living on Sint Maarten when Hurricane Lenny hit. No power or running water for 6wks. Stayed close to home, light work outside, cooked one meal/day, "cleaned up/whore bath" every second day. Went through approx. 2gal/day between 3 people. That was being very conservative and making sure didn't sweat too much/get hot.

Living in NOLA during Katrina. Wife stayed at hospital, me at home by self. Had to "patrol" neighborhood; set up in a garage so not in sun. Some work had to be done to clear some areas of house and outside. Get hot/sweaty so some hygiene had to be done, period. Cooked every other day. Easily a gallon/day.

I doubt most will be sitting still much if there is a SHTF situation. This means water consumption. Sweating? Gotta' at least take a whore bath per day and every couple of days a more serious cleaning. Takes water to prepare many foods. Back to physical exertion. Water out means water in. I look at a gal/day per person minimum as what is needed. It adds up. Several 55gal drums in the garage would go a long way in making it. A good high capacity filter and water supply means long term ability.

Feedback Score
    The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. This is just to stay hydrated, no cooking, cleaning or sanitation. And don't forget pets.
    Last edited by Seagunner; 10-14-13 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danattyfatty View Post
    Maybe so, but you'll eventually need more water for cooking and hygiene.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to confuse here. Of course I know we weed at least 8cups of water per day.

What I meant by my previous post is when you do not have an infinite or renewable source of water. I.e if all you had left was 50gallons of water for 5months or more, and you are in a desert location. Basically a worst case scenario and you have to prolong the water supply as long as possible. Taking baths or brushing your teeth will not be a priority at all.

The 2cups is not to include cooking and hygene of course. I'm surprised many people even thought that. Its for drinking when no other source of clean water is available and you had to live on what water you have left. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 10-15-13 at 22:23.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112