View Poll Results: $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aimpoint to top off 1st already complete build?

59 75.64%
  • 11.5" upper to finish 2nd complete pistol/sbr build?

19 24.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

I know this is a facebookey post, but I need some insight.

Have about $450ish to spend on my next AR-related purchase and absolutely do not know which way to go. Have PLENTY of ammo and mags.

2 choices:

1) I have a gorgeous complete BCM bfh lw middy set up 100% absolutely perfectly (even rattle-canned ) minus an RDS and have wanted to get an Aimpoint PRO to top it off. I do not have any other ARs and feel that a RDS is an eventual necessity and serious force multiplier. I feel very confident with this rifle and do consider this my primary HD weapon I would grab God forbid that situation arises. Other than that, I do not compete and use it just for range and desert fun.

2) I also have a complete lower that I have been wanting to turn into a pistol and then SBR for a while. I have always ALWAYS wanted a BCM 11.5" upper (and eventual SBR) and have the cash to go for it and they are in stock. I feel that if I don't grab the 11.5" upper now (already have extra BCM bcg), some more mass shooting shit will happen and I will be out of luck for another year on snagging a BCM 11.5"er. I assume that Aimpoints will always be available regardless of political climate.

So add a RDS or finish a build?

I honestly cannot decide and see the pros and cons on both - would like the help of some seasoned guys to get my PRIORITIES straight.

I know I can save up and eventually fulfill both wants, but given the above, which would you go for tomorrow?

obligatory pics

Last edited by HighDesert; 09-17-13 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    18 (91%)
    Aimpoint H-1 or T-1. Order a barrel. That would be hardest part to get.
    rcsperformanceonline.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Id vote for an optic. You can finish one project now. Even more so seeing how it is your primary HD option. Since as funds are limited the SBR project will not be complete either way

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What will be harder to get, either from legislation or panic-buying?

I once watched $600 complete 6720 uppers on Grant's website daily for 2 months convincing myself I was good and didn't need to focus on getting funds together quickly - then, and I kid you not, THE DAY I got funds through selling off something else I went to buy and they were gone.

Given what we've just gone through, if there's something you need to make a complete firearm, that should be the priority.
    "...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

"I had no real need to remove it, but I like to check out things to see why they're so wonderful." - markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if you're good with your irons, then the optic is really just a want. (I'm not saying the upper isn't ) especially for a red dot. its a toughie but do consider the tax you have to pay (if you haven't already) for turning the other build into a SBR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter260 View Post
    What will be harder to get, either from legislation or panic-buying?

I once watched $600 complete 6720 uppers on Grant's website daily for 2 months convincing myself I was good and didn't need to focus on getting funds together quickly - then, and I kid you not, THE DAY I got funds through selling off something else I went to buy and they were gone.

Given what we've just gone through, if there's something you need to make a complete firearm, that should be the priority.
    That is exactly the type of stuff I'm afraid of - I've been very very lucky during the last panic and want to continue that way.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I say complete the 2nd rifle/pistol/SBR. You have BUIS on the 1st one and will (should) always be able to find an RDS when you have the funds again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My vote… One AR that you need (HD is a need) could use an Aimpoint.

One AR that's in the planning stage, which is a want to me, could use an upper.

I complete needs before wants. More uppers will come around. The lower is the issue with an SBR. Buy the Aimpont, and start the process for the stamp on your lower.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    if you're good with your irons, then the optic is really just a want. (I'm not saying the upper isn't ) especially for a red dot. its a toughie but do consider the tax you have to pay (if you haven't already) for turning the other build into a SBR.
    I do feel very confident with irons and can do fine low light shooting with my WL (surefire m600) and have practiced such - with that said I know everything goes out the Window once adrenaline is introduced and I have never (fortunately) been tested.

Re the SBR fees, I have zero qualms shooting as a pistol for a few months to save up for the fees (and a potential year of shooting as a pistol while I wait for stamp) - it's a non issue.

Give enough time, I can eventually purchase both the upper and RDS, but it is just a question of which makes the most sense first...

Thank you for the continued opinions.
    Last edited by HighDesert; 09-17-13 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    I do feel very confident with irons and can do fine low light shooting with my WL (surefire m600) and have practiced such - with that said I know everything goes out the Window once adrenaline is introduced and I have never (fortunately) been tested.

Re the SBR fees, I have zero qualms shooting as a pistol for a few months to save up for the fees (and a potential year of shooting as a pistol while I wait for stamp) - it's a non issue.

Give enough time, I can eventually purchase both the upper and RDS, but it is just a question of which makes the most sense first...

Thank you for the continued opinions.
    ^ true, either way you would have to spend more money buying a RE which a stock cannot be attached to. like stated above, get the aimpoint and start your lower's paper work, but be warned, youll be married to that lower.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 09-17-13 at 23:27.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast