View Poll Results: $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aimpoint to top off 1st already complete build?

59 75.64%
  • 11.5" upper to finish 2nd complete pistol/sbr build?

19 24.36%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

Feedback Score
    Get the Aimpoint and send in the paperwork for the SBR. Well before you get the stamp, you can save and order the upper.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd have to agree with the other posters who recommend getting the upper. I've got Aimpoint PROs on my AR and AK, and I think they are fantastic optics for the money, but I don't see any legislative attempts to regulate or ban them.
    Granted, as more information about the recent DC incident is made public, I see less potential for it to be spun into supporting restrictions that would impact purchasing the upper. However, the odds are still greater than zero, and since you've decided to buy both it would be prudent to purchase the item with a higher possibility of disappearing.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My vote is for the Aimpoint. Take the balance and get some more ammo for the range.

Feedback Score
    I say start the SBR tax stamp process. File the paperwork and pay the $200 and by the time it comes in, you'll have $250 still and whatever else you've saved up. Even at the worst of the crisis, SBR lowers were every where. Not every one has a tax stamp nor wanted to go the pistol route. Don't spend money on a pistol buffer tube when you know good and well you're going to convert it to a SBR. Put that towards a RDS
    Last edited by PhuLish; 09-18-13 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    This.

Hard to outlaw a tube with an LED.
    Watch them.

All that needs to happen is for the next mass shooter to use a rifle (or even shotgun) with a RDS. Some liberal police chief will point out the features of the murder weapon and claim that the sight is used on the weapons that the SWAT team uses, that's used to engage targets rapidly and easily, that it makes already dangerous guns even more dangerous, and that there's no legitimate reason for any civilian to have one. Then Feinstein comes on and says that the red dot sights allow shooters sniper precision without even aiming. McCarthy claims it's another name for the shoulder thing that goes up. Some other talking head claims red dots turn rifles basically into fighter planes and can lock on to their target and give bullets heat seeking capabilities. In the new AWB bill, one of the evil features of an "assault weapon" is "an optic which allows rapid engagement of targets."

Anything gun related is at risk.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic. But I'd go with the Aimpoint; I've learned that, more often than not, if you get started on one expensive project before another expensive project is done, you're more likely to have two eternally unfinished, expensive projects rather than one completed project that is ready for use and another pending one. You'll have more peace of mind as it makes finishing the next project seem like less of a big deal. This goes for anything, not just guns.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Watch them.

All that needs to happen is for the next mass shooter to use a rifle (or even shotgun) with a RDS. Some liberal police chief will point out the features of the murder weapon and claim that the sight is used on the weapons that the SWAT team uses, that's used to engage targets rapidly and easily, that it makes already dangerous guns even more dangerous, and that there's no legitimate reason for any civilian to have one. Then Feinstein comes on and says that the red dot sights allow shooters sniper precision without even aiming. McCarthy claims it's another name for the shoulder thing that goes up. Some other talking head claims red dots turn rifles basically into fighter planes and can lock on to their target and give bullets heat seeking capabilities. In the new AWB bill, one of the evil features of an "assault weapon" is "an optic which allows rapid engagement of targets."
    That seems a bit extreme IMO. Based off that logic of progression I suppose we should all start learning how to shoot our rifles with no sights at all. First they outlaw RDS, then hunting style scopes, then irons completely?

Any trained individual can rapidly engage targets with any type of weapon sighting system, if they aren't trained then it doesn't matter what type of optic is mounted.

Lets not drift into the land if extreme what if's.

To the OP, all I can say is take the advice given and make an educated decision that best suits YOUR needs.
    USMC 2011-Present

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    Lets not drift into the land if extreme what if's.
    Indeed.
    While anything can happen, there are very real and recent specific examples of proposed legislation that could impact or eliminate the OPs ability to purchase the upper he wants. I've seen nothing to indicate any movement towards regulating Aimpoints. Assuming he's decided to purchase both, and is proficient with irons (as he's mentioned), and doesn't seem to be in any particular immediate need of one over the other, I still think that the upper would be the better first purchase.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    That seems a bit extreme IMO. Based off that logic of progression I suppose we should all start learning how to shoot our rifles with no sights at all. First they outlaw RDS, then hunting style scopes, then irons completely?..
    Were you not around when they tried to go after "sniper rifles" which was any that was "deadly accurate", including scoped hunting rifles? It doesn't mean we abandon the RDS, scope, folding stock or any other type of firearm or feature, it means we pull together and protect our rights and liberties.

Highdesert, in your place, I'd shop around with the idea getting the Aimpoint takes priority. I'd rather have an HD carbine with the Aimpoint that I can shoot than an iron sighted carbine and an AR pistol I find less satisfying to shoot. In getting the RDS, I would also come up with a plan to finance the SBR upper if worried about another parts drought.

I want an SBR, but I wouldn't sell or trade my Aimpoint to get it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I voted to get the Aimpoint, but you should absolutely get your stamp now too if you can scrape up a bit more cash. Wait times are downright stupid
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Believe it or not, I'm facing the same dilemma right now except no money for it yet. Also, I'm trying to buy ammo, that's number one. Since I have the second lower already, and as someone pointed out, SBR uppers were always still prevalent in the panic, I'm going to finish my first build completely before finishing buying an upper for the next. The only thing that makes me hesitate on this is this talk of them raising stamps to $500.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast