Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911/.45 Recommendations Please

Feedback Score

1911/.45 Recommendations Please

I have a Glock 19, M&P .40, Sig Sp2340.Now I need a 1911 to complete my little armory. I'm looking for recommendations on a 4 inch 1911 all steel or polymer frame.It doesn't matter if it's single stack or high cap. just as long as it can fit my average size hands. I don't want to spend over $1000.Thanks in advanced.

Feedback Score
    I would get a full size 5" Springfield loaded

4" 1911s are problems

i would not get anything with an internal safety like colt 80 series, S&Ws or Kimber series II

Mike

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    At that price point, for me it's going to be a Colt Series 70 reissue, every time. Should you decide to use the pistol for a custom base gun later on, you'll have the best possible starting point.

Chief

Feedback Score
    At that price point, for me it's going to be a Colt Series 70 reissue
    the Colt re-make of the series 70 is one of my favorites too.
    But for me it will take some custom work before it is shootable like a beavertail and sights and that for sure would take it beyond $1000.

As a base for a custom gun there would not be anything better.

Mike

Feedback Score
    4 inch 1911 for under 1k? the choice is clear:

Colt Combat Commander XSE or Colt Lightweight Commander XSE ....depending on yr preference. I like the all steel Combat Commander over the light aluminum frame, personally.

i'm also just a heathen who actually likes the Series 80 LOL i don't care if they are harder to work on, I like all my pistols to be drop safe.

Feedback Score

1. Is this going to be a plinker/toy, a competition gun, or is it going to be a defensive handgun?
    2. New or used?
    3. What caliber do you want?
    4. If it is going to be a defensive handgun is it going to be a "nightstand" gun, concealed carry gun, or a tactical gun?
    Eric Torres

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I would get a full size 5" Springfield loaded

4" 1911s are problems

i would not get anything with an internal safety like colt 80 series, S&Ws or Kimber series II

Mike
    Not completely true, 4.25" Commanders and 4" Compact/Champions can be as reliable as any 5". Once you go shorter than 4" you can run into trouble.

Under $1000, Colt and SA get the nod.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score

Compact, high cap 1911s have more problems (the worst combination possible).

Stick to single stacks.

Stick to internal extractor models.

At your price point, depending on purpose you are going to use it for. Some models to be on your short list:

5" 1911s: Springfield MC Operator, Colt New Series 70, Colt XSE

4.25" 1911s: Colt XSE Commander

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately if you are going to get a good 1911 ready for serious use, you will need to spend significantly more funds to ensure a 100% reliable and durable weapon. Right now, about the only relatively easily obtainable 1911 that I would feel comfortable purchasing for duty/carry use would be the SA Professional 5" barrel, single stack, steel frame..and even those are sometimes in need of a little tweaking.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Unfortunately if you are going to get a good 1911 ready for serious use, you will need to spend significantly more funds to ensure a 100% reliable and durable weapon. Right now, about the only relatively easily obtainable 1911 that I would feel comfortable purchasing for duty/carry use would be the SA Professional...and even those are sometimes in need of a little tweaking.
    SA Professionals are not readily available, that's a good thing for me....I'd have too many of them. Any Semi-Custom from Baer, Wilson or Brown is going to run out of the box. I like my Pro but my Wilson CQB and Baer TRS are as reliable and they actually are readily available.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast