Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911/.45 Recommendations Please

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    ... one must keep in mind that Old Slabsides worked just fine in a very basic configuration for many generations before we got our hands on it.
    One should also keep in mind, when that very basic configuration worked just fine for many generations, people:
    • ... were not shooting JHP through the gun.
    • ... were not shooting as much, on average, as serious shooters do today.
    • ... considered a 500 MRBS rate acceptable.

But in fairness, they also didn't expect the gun to be infinitely customizable in terms of ergonomics, or have super-light trigger jobs, or any of the other things that have become almost "required" for an official Cool Guy 1911.

If ten different companies were building Glock 17's, the Glock 17 would certainly have a much worse reputation than it does today.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Some will surely disagree, but I think we're being a bit disingenuous to suggest that an out-of-the-box production 1911 cannot work properly. That simply is not the case, and notwithstanding the customization craze of the past decade or two, one must keep in mind that Old Slabsides worked just fine in a very basic configuration for many generations before we got our hands on it.

In order to bring the pistol into the "modern era," we've tinkered with sights, safeties, triggers, magazines, fire control parts, ejection ports, springs, overall dimensions, barrels, tolerances and just about everything else on the 1911 -- little wonder then that some of them should have problems. The point here is that one can generally go out and buy a box stock Colt or Springfield (just for example) and probably feel quite comfortable with the reliability and overall performance of the pistol. Most of the 5" are good to go, and more than a few of the 4.25" models run just as well in practical terms.

So, where do we go wrong? Well, I think the first area is that we try to save a buck, not realizing that the 1911 is not a Glock or HK or S&W. A 1911 needs some bench time under skilled hands to be set up properly the first time, and time/skilled labor costs money. Don't expect a "me too" marketer to deliver a flawless 1911 clone for $600; if you go that route, you've no right to expect a positive outcome. One needn't spend $2,000 or more on a custom, either, but the point here is that most bargain 1911s aren't anything of the sort.

The second area where we tend to go wrong is in gravitating toward the "sexier" chopped-down and/or heavily-modified versions. Can anyone get a 3.5" 1911 to really run? The answer is a qualified "yes," but then refer to point #1, above. It is definitely a more difficult task, and if you expect to keep one of them running, you had better know something about spring weights and ammunition selection. Commanders and Government Models have far fewer problems, and the latter is the unquestioned king of the lot, even today. Before you start down the "but that's an awfully big pistol to carry" line of reasoning, remember that barrel length isn't nearly as much of a factor in concealability as width and overall profile, and the 1911 is such a flat design that even a small man can easily pack a 5" model.

Can you get a reliable 1911 for under $1,000? If you shop for the right model, and the QC boys did their part, the answer is a resounding "yes." Will you inevitably begin tinkering with it later? Well, of course ... sooner or later, most every 1911 gets a bit more TLC along the way, but that wasn't the original question. Most of us who have owned several examples of this pistol will tell you that we have Colts that are every bit as reliable as our Wilsons or Browns. Not that the latter aren't money well spent, but sometimes that added expense is borne of desire, rather than true necessity.

My advice? Go buy a 5" Colt, and don't mess with it.

Chief

I agree with you 100%. Most of those who think the 1911 is unreliable have never fired or handled one. I've owned a lot of 1911's over the years, the only one that didn't run out of the box was a Kimber CDP Pro II. Anyone who says a 1911 can't be/isn't reliable is talking out there arse.

I've owned everything from a SA GI to a Yost Custom, Wilsons and Baers and everything in between. All have been as reliable as any other gun I have owned. This is with hollowpoints, 1000+ round pistol courses etc. I just put 750 rounds through my CQB this weekend in a one day course, I had two FTF issues with my reloads - they were too long. Other than that, I lubed it once and it ran and ran.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also think people get a little carried away with the whole "my gun can go 3,000 rounds without cleaning or malfunctions and your 1911 can't" line. My response is so what. When in the real world would a true defensive pistol need to be fired so much?

I'm more than comfortable carrying a pistol that can go 500 rounds without cleaning and no malfunctions.

All my 1911's have made it through multiple day classes and high round counts without failure. But that doesn't really matter to me. What matters most is that when it is cleaned and lubed, that I can take it to the range and fire 25 rounds of Speer 230 gn Gold Dot reliably straight from the holster. It is nice to know what it can do at 500 and 1,000 rounds, but it is not applicable to me in the real world. I need 25-32 perfect rounds.

As much as I like and appreciate the 1911 design, in your case, I'd get a glock 19. Either go 5" 1911 from a quality maker or go with another model of gun. Unless you are willing to do what it takes to take full advantage of the 1911 platform, a Glock 19 is a far better choice for 90% of the shooters out there. You are asking for trouble by A) wanting 4" 1911 and B) wanting it for less than $1,000.

Sure the shorties can run well - I've shot a little 3" 1911 built by CT Brian that was pretty amazing - it digested well over 500 rounds in one day with not a single problem.........of course it didn't cost less than $1,000 either though. You get what you pay for, especially with 1911's.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    Most of those who think the 1911 is unreliable have never fired or handled one.
    And you base this statement on what, exactly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I would get a full size 5" Springfield loaded

4" 1911s are problems

i would not get anything with an internal safety like colt 80 series, S&Ws or Kimber series II

Mike
    Mike,
    I thought I had asked you this earlier, but I guess not. Or maybe it was another forum...
    Anyway, where did you get your avatar from? It looks the same symbol that Paul Liebenberg (Pistol Dynamics) uses. In any case, I like it.
    http://www.pistoldynamics.com/Pistols_08.html

Feedback Score
    anyone with firsthand knowledge , experience with the Kimber Warrior ?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TUNNEL RAT 33 View Post
    anyone with firsthand knowledge , experience with the Kimber Warrior ?
    I have two, one Desert Warrior and the other is a black one. My Desert warrior was purchased when the first came out and my black warrior was purchased some time later.

I am completely satisfied with both of my Kimber Warriors. However, my Desert Warrior sees more rounds fired through it and is probably my favorite of the two due to the slightly shorter trigger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234