Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P290RS

Feedback Score

Sig Sauer P290RS

I am looking into the Sig Sauer P290RS for concealed carry (pocket, smart carry, aiwb or ankle depending on dress requirements) in NPE type places. This is the second gen of this pistol, which seems to have eliminated and prior issues - light primer strikes, etc.

In reviewing them at LGS, the fit and finish of this pistol is very well done. Comparable pistols in 9mm seem to have less QC but still nice pistols (Beretta Nano, Kahr pm/cm9 especially) I am not considering the S&W shield or G26 because of size. Though the G26 would be my pick if I wasnt restricted in dress/NPE. This pistol seems to in my opinion has Sig quality, as best it can be in the states and small enough to still fit all the above.

My questions for some help are:

1) Personal opinions/reviews of P290RS owners on daily carry use and function.

2a) What gunsmiths work on these? Thoughts of adjusting the length of pull and weight of trigger pull might be an option if quality smith can be found.

2b) Gunsmith who could mill out and extend the rear slide gripping/traction serrations/grooves used for cocking over the top of the slide to aid in purchase/grip, pushing/pulling slide back under stress, etc.

Thanks for the the help and information. I wanted to give a second try on posting for information, before moving on. This is a new platform for me and custom work as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock 26. Its all you need to know. Anything less is damn near unshootable and sure as hell is not as reliable.

Ive tried them all. Glock 26 is what you want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    Glock 26. Its all you need to know. Anything less is damn near unshootable and sure as hell is not as reliable.

especially if you decide to run it as a backup you have compatibility with a g19 or g17 in terms of mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post

Agree - the G26 is the gold standard sub-compact 9mm. Other honorable mentions are the HKP2000sk, M&P shield (once you get past the recent recall), and Walther PPS.

Sig makes some great guns, but their best weapons are the P226 and P228.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-22-13 at 22:18.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    The G26 is THE Subcompact pistol. I agree it has a proven rep and multiple reasons why many would mention it as a option for back up or small subcompact.

Unfortunately, I am looking at micro 9mm's that you can pocket carry as a starting point in NPE type places daily.

More specifically, help from those with personal experience with the P290rs and gunsmiths with specialize in Sig, trigger work and milling of slide serrations.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the G26 and compare them for my needs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrunner View Post
    The G26 is THE Subcompact pistol. I agree it has a proven rep and multiple reasons why many would mention it as a option for back up or small subcompact.

Unfortunately, I am looking at micro 9mm's that you can pocket carry as a starting point in NPE type places daily.

More specifically, help from those with personal experience with the P290rs and gunsmiths with specialize in Sig, trigger work and milling of slide serrations.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the G26 and compare them for my needs.
    I hear ya and thought the same way. The truth is, anything smaller is just un-shootable. Ive owned a bunch of the micros, and they are all shit. From horrible triggers to lack of grip, I would not trust them if I needed them. We all understand that a shitty gun is better than no gun at all.

If you cannot hide a G26, then the problem is on you. Hell I can put one on my front jean pocket and I'm only 5'8". Dress around the gun or get creative. The Haley strategic holster is great if u don't mind the gun being pointed at your dick.

You don't want to be fumbling around with some small toy gun when there is a threat present.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Two other issues:

1.Small guns usualy are unreliable. Sigs are known to be unreliable outside of the fullsize 220/226/228/229's.

2. Training. You need to be able to practice as smaller frame guns are much harder to aim and hit with. Even the LCP which is in .380 , is painfull to shoot. Imagine the same frame in a 9mm and your not going to be able to shoot much. The recoil is going to keep you from training effectivley.

Thats why I keep coming back to the 26. I swear, it shoots smoother and has less muzzle flip/recoil than my 19's or 17's.

Feedback Score
    Shot the P290. Hated, hated, hated, hated that gun. Hated it. YMMV but did I mention I hated it? When they first came out, we couldn't keep them in stock because they were Sig friggin Sauer and every avid reader of Soldier of Fortune and Guns and Ammo thought "Sig=Navy SEALs must carry it." Now, we couldn't get rid of them if we paid someone to take it. Also, with Sig's customer service, if HK is "Because you suck and we hate you," Sig for the past eight years has been, "Because you are an absolutely worthless pile of dog shit and we hope your mother dies in a fire."

If you're looking for a 9mm subcompact, Glock 26, M&P 9 Compact, and HK P2000 SK are good options.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Have you considered the P938? It can be pocket carried with either a custom modified/sewn pocket or a thin pocket holster. I can appreciate the NPE thing. I personally prefer the custom sewn pocket as it gets the gun a bit deeper in the pocket and you don't get the extra thickness associated with a holster. Very comfortable sitting or bending and prints like a wallet.

The only way to carry a G26 in a real high-risk NPE is appendix or smartcarry which is effectively deep appendix. This will only work for certain body types in an office environment. IMHO you can't carry strongside IWB in a close quarters, indoors/office NPE environment where printing at all at any time could result in firing/arrest.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered a J-Frame?

If the G26 isn't an option, then I'd recommend the Walther PPS.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast