Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My SHTF ammo to go can

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It can be fun to mess around with ammo can arrangement...I'm sure most have been there...but for go time loaded mags are what you want to grab.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armed_zebra View Post
    I remember a thread from a long time ago talking about the Tactical Tailor ammo can covers which showed this set up. Gatorbait, was that you? The ammo selection was the same as was the set up.
    Yeap, that was me. The mix has changed a little, with the addition of subsonic 300BLK ammo. I have packed it a little more efficiently than the last time as well, and added some additional rounds.
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

At my current rate of posting, I might get to post in GD in 2015.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    My plan for a SHTF is not spending lots of time loading mag after mag. Mags got to be ready to go.
    Yeah, my plan is not spending lots of time loading mag after mag either. These boxes are jus part of the initial OTD load out, which I guess I should have said in the initial post.........

I guess some people live in a world where they have all the time in the world to load up what they want. Others, including me, have experienced that knock at he door, saying that you have a limited amount of time to get loaded and leave (for me it was 30 mins - 2 hrs. due to a 1000 acre fire, moving in on the house from down the road). This was the original motivation behind getting things organized.

This is my initial 4 bag system, which I put together a few years back. I have made some small changes to it, but essientially this is what it still is today:

If only that rifle and pistol were that new again.....

All 4 bags can go in the same trip if need be, 2 slung on shoulders, 2 in hand...

As far as the loaded magazines go, the first bag out the door is this Maxpedition:

It has a couple of pre-loaded magazines in it.

There are additonal boxes and bags of pre-loaded magazines as well...somewhere..... but since the post was mainly about the loose ammo box, the caliber mix I chose to put in it, and the process of creating it, I have not included them in it. Possibly a future post....

Nah...

Cheers,
    GB
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

At my current rate of posting, I might get to post in GD in 2015.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Absolutely. I have close to 50 mags preloaded and ready to go for the AR's and multiple mags for the pistols.
    Am I correct in assuming you rotate the loaded mags to make sure you do not keep the springs under constant load, or am I making an Ass out of Me? lol

Damn, this sucks, having only 15rd mags I have to have twice as many stored up lol.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Am I correct in assuming you rotate the loaded mags to make sure you do not keep the springs under constant load, or am I making an Ass out of Me? lol

Damn, this sucks, having only 15rd mags I have to have twice as many stored up lol.
    It's the compressing/decompressing that weakens the springs. Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt any... or at least so I'm told. I haven't worn any out yet.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I thought it had been concluded that with modern quality springs that as a non issue no?

Personally, I tend to load my mags 1-2 rnds short of capacity for long term storage, and rotate on occasion if it occurs to me, but don't very often.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
    Building the SHTF ammo can to go, AKA...putting 20 lbs. of ammo in a 10 lb. box.

GB
    I like the idea of an ammo can full O ammo in an easy "to go" pouch with strap like that and may get one. But, I see a can full of 5.56, one long gun that can use that ammo, one handgun with loaded mags on my person, and the rest of my space and (assuming) short time dedicated food, water, shelter, etc.

My version of true SHTF may differ from yours.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Re: "Springs under constant load"

I had an older relative who bought an SKS back in mid 80's, it sat in a closet with bolt held-back (fully compressed recoil spring). It sat that way for ~23 years until I took an interest in it, bought it and took it i the range: that recoil spring is just fine even thought it sat fully compressed for ~23 years.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 09-23-13 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    I do really like the bags you showed that hold the rifle + pistols together in a non-descript case. Low profile is better, IMO.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 09-23-13 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Been discussed numerous times. Springs wear from usage, not being loaded.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast