Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My SHTF ammo to go can

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    That's good to know about mag springs. Now I can unwrap those Gen 3's and leave 'em loaded after a good function check of course.

I do like the idea of multi caliber packing for a last resort, on foot /bike scenario, but would limit them to the arms I would be carrying. If things are that bad, I am only taking two guns as weight with main pack is crucial. So 5.56 and .22 make most sense to me.

For the OP, I would have a separate multi can for 300BLK and .45 as an alternate two gun choice. Wonderful calibers when you have the luxury of load capacity, but inferior as last resort choice for several reasons; 300 impossible to replenish and .45 bulky and less convienient as trade goods than .22.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I like the idea of an ammo can full O ammo in an easy "to go" pouch with strap like that and may get one. But, I see a can full of 5.56, one long gun that can use that ammo, one handgun with loaded mags on my person, and the rest of my space and (assuming) short time dedicated food, water, shelter, etc.

My version of true SHTF may differ from yours.
    I'm pretty sure we all define a true SHTF situation in our own different ways....just like we all have our own different plans. However, I would bet that we all agree that the first thing to do is have a plan, and work it. The great thing about places like M4C is to look at different pieces of the plans of others, and see if it might work for each of us, or not....IMHO, no harm either way..... in the end, we all place our own bets.

I agree whole heartedly about food, water and shelter, being right up there at the top of the list. A very wise man once told me that a good ratio of bullets to beans was 10:1. 10 bullets put back for every 1 day worth of food put back. For some, this may be low, for others it may be high, but it works for me, and has for quite some time. Just another piece....

Cheers,
    GB
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

At my current rate of posting, I might get to post in GD in 2015.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Been discussed numerous times. Springs wear from usage, not being loaded.
    Loaded all the mags at the house last night
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    What .22s are you packing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Federal bulk pack

I am packing in the Federal bulk pack .22LR's. It has been my experience that the Federal seem to work the best in both the CMMG AR-15 and AA G21 conversion kits.... for me at least....
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

At my current rate of posting, I might get to post in GD in 2015.......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Does anyone know of any bags similar to the Tactical Tailor Ammo Can Cover? It has been discontinued.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In any undergraduate engineering program you learn that springs wear from cycling, not from being in a long term state of being compressed........unless you are outside the design parameters of the spring. For mags, you are fine leaving them loaded, as long as the engineer(s) who designed the magazine utilized a proper spring.

I know the general statement had been posted previously in the thread, but that one condition can really throw you for a loop if you try to apply that logic to another use and you don't utilize the proper spring for the application.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    This reminded me that it was probably time to check the ammo I loaded in May 2011. It is never rotated, it is never touched, moved, fondled, anything.

Everything looked great, and I hope I don't have to open this again for many more years.

I don't get what the point of a SHTF "to go" ammo supply is if you have to spend time loading magazines in order to use it. Long term disaster preparedness though? That ammo can looks like a great idea and I may copy it for my own use.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-03-13 at 18:46.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This reminded me that it was probably time to check the ammo I loaded in May 2011. It is never rotated, it is never touched, moved, fondled, anything.

Everything looked great, and I hope I don't have to open this again for many more years.

I don't get what the point of a SHTF "to go" ammo supply is if you have to spend time loading magazines in order to use it. Long term disaster preparedness though? That ammo can looks like a great idea and I may copy it for my own use.

Looking good. Where did you get that case? Pelican?

I will be loading up most of my spare mags too (about 20), half are unopend Pmags and Lancer L5's. Looking for a good bag/case too.

My ammo would only be limited to 9mm and 5.56, and maybe pick up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a brick or 2 of ammo next year.
    Initially the 7.62AK was in rotation but loading up those steel mags get heavy very quickly

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Looking good. Where did you get that case? Pelican?

I will be loading up most of my spare mags too (about 20), half are unopend Pmags and Lancer L5's. Looking for a good bag/case too.

My ammo would only be limited to 9mm and 5.56, and maybe pick up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a brick or 2 of ammo next year.
    Initially the 7.62AK was in rotation but loading up those steel mags get heavy very quickly
    It's a Storm iM2300. It's air/water tight, but won't float with this much weight in it. You could get over 40 magazines in one if you used aluminum mags and removed the 1" thick padding around the edges, but I like the way it is now because it's silent if I'm carrying it. I haven't weighed it but it's definitely not something you'd want to carry around for any long period of time. However, it's not impossible to manage. Maybe 35 pounds?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast