Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG Initial Impressions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How long have these been out on the market? I find this design to be very interesting but I have never been known to be a first adopter type. Keep us up to date on how it runs. I might be interested in getting one in the future.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Good luck with the KSG, I've seen some horrendous reviews of it online and MAC really has had a terrible time with it.

Seems to be hit/miss.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Please keep us updated as you put wear and tear on your shotgun and post what observations you make good or bad. It would be really helpful if you keep track of the total number of rounds fired.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I have had two of these shotguns. A gen 1 and the latest Generation out now. Both of the shotguns I have had were reliable with any type of ammo. Slugs were easily accurate out to 75 yards with Magpul MBUS. 00 Buck was adequately "H-D" tight from up to 15 yards.

The KSG has a bit of an odd action in that it has an extra bit of resistance at the end of a short stroke. Just make sure to get used to working the action in a firm manner or you will short stroke this weapon. This is one of the main causes of bad reviews for the KSG.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've wanted one of these ever since they were introduced. But then they took over a year to be made, have been getting mostly unfavorable reviews and grossly overpriced due to Keltec's inability to make enough to meet demand.

That being said, if I could get one for a fair price I would.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    I've wanted one of these ever since they were introduced. But then they took over a year to be made, have been getting mostly unfavorable reviews and grossly overpriced due to Keltec's inability to make enough to meet demand.

That being said, if I could get one for a fair price I would.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    I still prefer my Mossy 930 SPX with a Monte Carlo stock for HD over the KSG but the KSG is not a bad weapon. It is a Kel Tec after all and a new design. All in all it is a great HD shotgun if you get used to the operation of the weapon. I think you will find most negative reviews of this shotgun stem from short stroking and magazine tube change, both problems solved by training.

As far as forearms getting torn up by ejected shells, I have never even suffered a bruise. Broken slides are very far and few in between.

As you stated before these weapons are grossly overpriced at 1k. I think that the 800$ initial MSRP was a bit high to begin with for the quality of construction but the market is tolerating a 1k+ price tag.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Are these not reliable? I like my 870.... worth the trade up?
    Mixed reviews. I'd wait another year before making the investment in this shotgun which strikes me as horribly overpriced. IMHO.

Check out these negative reactions/reviews:

http://www.thebangswitch.com/trying-...e-kel-tec-ksg/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...hotgun-review/

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showth...ec-KSG-shotgun

Good summary of the main problem with the KSG - KelTec's hit/miss quality control:

I had the opportunity to run two separate KSG’s through their paces on my woods range. The first one I was loaned by one of my co-instructors and we ran 300 shells of 00bk, slugs, and 8shot through without even the slightest sign of a hiccup. The action was as smooth as my benelli super nova (ok, but not phenomenal), and follow ups were easy.

The second one was the one I owned. For one day. I tried like hell but I couldn’t deplete one mag tube without a jam. I stumbled through my entire cache of 12ga shells, about 275, hoping it was the first shotgun ever to have a major break in period. No improvements. Tore it down, scrubbed and oiled it, notice it had quite a few burrs, tried cleaning those up a bit, and attempted another run. Jammed after the 3rd shot.

I truly believe a good Kel-Tec is a fantastic firearm. The problem is taking the (for me) $1100 gamble to find one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't buy one for a few more years. There's still a net of issues with the gun and cycling issues seem to be the primary problem area for everyone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no good way to reload it. A regular shotgun can be quickly topped off while on the move without even looking at the gun. Everyone I see who tries to load the KSG has to stop, set the gun down on it's butt, look at the well, and carefully insert each round.

Feedback Score
    With 14 rounds, you shouldn't need to reload, though. HD and maybe a breaching gun (I'm not versed in that art, but seems its size would make it useful for that) it should be mare than adequate. Sure, it's a negative, but not a deal breaker depending on your needs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast