Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The 3-Gunner's rifle

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Another add in -

My best friend and fellow shooter Corey Schwanz won the AM Division @ Pro/Am in 2011 and placed 36th at Blue Ridge in 2012 and top 50 the last 2 (2012 and 2013)Pro/Am's in Pro with a 16in BCM Standard Midlength upper and a Firebird 12in handguard and a Burris XTR 1-4.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 10-06-13 at 18:28.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    For you guys that go to lots of big matches and see lots of guns,
    what are some of the more popular 18 inch barrels?

I am looking for heavier than pencil, lighter than bull. Is a 1:8 2.5 pound plus Mark 12 barrel too heavy or about right?

My retirement present to my self is going to be an 18 inch 3Gun build on a lower from a group buy at work. This has been planned for over a year, but I kept getting sidetracked with other builds.

I do not want to add to the dissention in the ranks over a battle carbine vs. a game carbine. I will make an observation.

I will say that I LOVE my JP handguards and some other lightweight, long, type tubes I have. I am thinking Samson, MI, or Troy Alpha on this build. But, I am not sure if these type of handguards would really cut it outside the wire night after night. I would be interested in other opinions. I only know of one match near by that for sure needs a light and sling. They were just in the way at the other ones I went to.

I do NOT love my KAC drop in rails only going to a CL FSP, or a GB/FSP side mounted sling attachment, etc. But, they have stood the test of time and abuse and had some serious torque put on them on various mishaps. Long term repeated abuse that my personal stuff has not had to go through at the range or at a match.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    For you guys that go to lots of big matches and see lots of guns,
    what are some of the more popular 18 inch barrels?

I am looking for heavier than pencil, lighter than bull. Is a 1:8 2.5 pound plus Mark 12 barrel too heavy or about right?

My retirement present to my self is going to be an 18 inch 3Gun build on a lower from a group buy at work. This has been planned for over a year, but I kept getting sidetracked with other builds.

I do not want to add to the dissention in the ranks over a battle carbine vs. a game carbine. I will make an observation.

I will say that I LOVE my JP handguards and some other lightweight, long, type tubes I have. I am thinking Samson, MI, or Troy Alpha on this build. But, I am not sure if these type of handguards would really cut it outside the wire night after night. I would be interested in other opinions. I only know of one match near by that for sure needs a light and sling. They were just in the way at the other ones I went to.

I do NOT love my KAC drop in rails only going to a CL FSP, or a GB/FSP side mounted sling attachment, etc. But, they have stood the test of time and abuse and had some serious torque put on them on various mishaps. Long term repeated abuse that my personal stuff has not had to go through at the range or at a match.
    JP barrels are popular. Most guys are running medium contour barrels.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Wilson barrels are popular as well. I know a number of people using Rainier, WOA, or Nordic, which are all (IIRC) on a Wilson blank with a Wylde chamber.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I have considered the Wylde chamber as well the 18 inch RL gas.

When I first heard about the Wylde chamber back in '06 I thought I would never consider it.

Feedback Score
    The Wylde chamber may not be necessary, but I figure it can't hurt. Normally with the optics on the 3 gun rifles, you're not going to get benchrest accuracy. For example, my MTAC's center dot is about 2.5 MOA - not great for shooting groups. But I know when I'm at my zero distance, every bullet will hit within that dot using my reloads, and not too far off using XM193 off the shelf.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456