Thread: Hiking ER supplies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hiking ER supplies

Hi
    yesterday I went hiking with my wife. It was a pretty easy hike but on the way down the trail we saw a guy fall and slide down into a ravine. I didn't have much in terms of supplies. Bottle water, trash bag, light and my tomahawk.
    what else should one take on hikes? It was a very common used trail alot of people use it and it starts right up the street, but almost every week end, we hear the fire engine and helicopters flying up there to do rescuse somebody.
    So with out packing the kitchen sink what are some essentials one should pack. It is a simple 2 hour hike so we aren't camping out or anything . Just looking for the necessary must have that will fir in a back pack.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Save yourself the trouble of trying to build one or what to pack. I have designed kits, for years, as a consultant, all the way from the IFAK to a multi-week expedition med kit, and this company can do what I did, for cheaper. Disclaimer: I do not work for them and get nothing from them.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    while I agree with the above statement, a lot depends on "What ifs." What if the person falls off a ledge? What if EMS isn't close by (ie, extended camping/hike situation)? What's your level of training? How long do you plan on treating for?

You could go anywhere from bandaids and neosporin in your pocket, to something a helo has to drop off.

AMK makes good stuff, relatively well thought out. Their only down side is their packaging tends to make it difficult to add other stuff (just b/c they pack so well already).

Feedback Score
    The basic 10 essentials. As you've seen a 2 hour hike doesn't always turn out to be a 2 hour hike.

Navigation (map and compass/GPS)
    Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight) -- signalling mirror
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
    Repair kit and tools -- knife/multitool/duct tape
    Nutrition (food)
    Hydration (water) -- treatment to create same
    Emergency shelter (tarp, bivy bag, space blanket)

Admittedly I don't carry a map for a well traveled short trail or one that I'm familiar with.; however, if you're going into a new area or deeper into the wilderness they should be carried -- and understood how to use them. Some people use GPS instead of but I'm a fan of paper and a magnetic compass.

I combine sunscreen/insulation under Environmental. Perhaps I need more water, light jacket, heavy jacket, wool hat, sun glasses, etc. Depends on the environment.

The FAK I carry hiking is pretty basic: gauze pads of different sizes (2x2, 4x4, & 5x10, roller gauze, triangular bandages, Ace wrap, tape, shears, gloves, space blanket, moleskin, and some small bandaids. I recently added a Quick Clot but don't think it's necessary. I've dealt with a lot of wilderness injuries, car accidents, industrial accidents and the VAST majority of wounds can be dealt with using conventional means. Never the less, I did add it.

Other than water, my 10 essentials kit is small and doesn't weigh much at all. I always put it in my pack/camelback when hiking even if it's just a short jaunt.