Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mk18 upper or just the barrel?

Feedback Score

Colt Mk18 upper or just the barrel?

I have a Colt 6920 SOCOM with the 16" barrel that I will be SBRing to the MK18 configuration. Should I purchase the complete upper or just the barrel? Aside from the cost factor, is there an advantage to doing one over the other?

Dano5326 Guest
    1- If you have the tools, a new barrel replace is easy and fast.

2- if not, and you know a GOOD smith who can chop/thread barrel, and redrill gas port, it'd be much cheaper. (IMO likely-hood of finding competence locally is nill)

3- any smith should be able to put on a barrel w/o issue

4- no tools/no experience maybe buying a complete upper, from a respected vendor, a more sound choice. It can be hard to resolve an issue.. when a cobbled together pile o poo doesn't work.

Generally, the shorter one goes the better ammo will be required.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icopy1 View Post
    I have a Colt 6920 SOCOM with the 16" barrel that I will be SBRing to the MK18 configuration. Should I purchase the complete upper or just the barrel? Aside from the cost factor, is there an advantage to doing one over the other?
    If the only thing you're changing is barrel length, chopping your barrel will be the most cost effective way to go about it, for sure.

Are you happy with the Colt handguard and fixed FSB?

Feedback Score
    I would rather not cut my Colt barrel down. I saw that Specialized Armanment has the Mk18 barrel assembly with the fixed FSB for $495 and the complete upper for $895 minus the BCG and CH.

Are the uppers from Specialized Armanment factory Colt assembled uppers or are they put together from Specialized Armanment?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icopy1 View Post
    I would rather not cut my Colt barrel down. I saw that Specialized Armanment has the Mk18 barrel assembly with the fixed FSB for $495 and the complete upper for $895 minus the BCG and CH.

Are the uppers from Specialized Armanment factory Colt assembled uppers or are they put together from Specialized Armanment?
    I'm not 100% on this but I'm under the impression that Specialized Armament puts all their stuff together.

Also, if you go the route of cutting the barrel + 1 for ADCO. They do great work.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Keep your stock upper and buy a complete upper. Then you can use your stock one till the stamp comes back and then sell it, or just have 2 uppers to choose from... *Cough Block II upper, and a Mk18 upper Cough*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would buy the upper assembly.

Feedback Score
    If cost isn't an issue, the upper would be the straight forward, no hassle thing to do. However, $895 would go a looong way if you were to just get the barrel and shop for parts, esp. if you have the luxury of time, waiting for your stamp.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 09-23-13 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That $900 doesn't even include the bolt group... Extra $300 if you get it from them.

$1,200 is very steep for a plastic hand guard chrome lined upper. But it's definitely your money.
    Last edited by Dead Man; 09-23-13 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    Ok stupid question. Do I need to get a new BCG for the 10.3" Mk18? Can't I use my existing BCG from my 16" SOCOM upper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast