Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Armorer question re Channel Liner

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Glock Armorer question re Channel Liner

Let me premise this question by saying that i'm a Glock Armorer. I purchased a new G17 Gen4 4 today. Spent casing is dated Aug 15, 2013. Prior to shooting it I did what most of us do; replace the sights w/ something we prefer. Then detail strip and clean. This included taking out the striker assembly. As I took out the striker assembly the channel liner came out also. I slipped it back in and put everything back together. Took the striker out again and sure enough the channel liner came with it. This time I wiped the excess oil that came with the liner off and replaced it in the channel as deep as I could. When I took the striker out for a third time the liner stayed put. I don't remember anything about the liner being discussed at the class or have seen this happen in 20 years of handling dozens on Glocks. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm taking the gun to the GSSF match in Salt Lake City on Friday and wonder if this is something that should be mentioned or even addressed by the armorer who is there? Has anyone ever even had to replace a channel liner?
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    You talkin' about the plastic cylinder shaped piece with the slot in it for the striker cruciform?

If so, all of mine came out with the striker when I pulled the slide apart. Usually 3 or 4 times a year on 3 or 4 Glocks for the past 10 years...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No. I'm referring to the striker liner inside the slide. Not to be rude but the question was intentionally directed at armorers. Its a part one should never have to see.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    From what I can recall in my armorer's class in July, if the liner comes out, it's no big deal. Try to take a punch that fits in there and tap it in a little. Do not hit it too hard that it will deform the liner. If it bothers you too much, replace it (I probably would).
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The part itself was in perfectly good condition though very oily. Seems to be in there tight now though I haven't shot the gun yet. I know there is a specific tool for its removal. Again has anyone ever dealt with this issue?
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Again has anyone ever dealt with this issue?
    I've seen it several times over the years, various models and variants. No big deal.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Skintop911;1755040]I've seen it several times over the years, various models and variants. No big deal.

Thank you. Is it normal for so much oil to around the plastic? Should I try to take it back out and degrease?
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Thank you. Is it normal for so much oil to around the plastic? Should I try to take it back out and degrease?
    The oil part sounds unusual, especially for a part that's supposed to fit in a channel that's supposed to be pretty dry.

If its in there pretty solid now, though, I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe put a very thin patch down there to mop up any excess if its very oily, but if its staying put, I wouldn't try to force it out unless you have a spare handy. I'd pay close attention to the striker channel the next time you detail strip the slide.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thank you.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Pretty normal on older guns (that are heavily worn) to see them come out. Don't know if I have seen a new gun exhibit this though.

No need for lube in the channel. So I would degrease it.

C4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast