Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: anyone ever damaged by their AR?

Feedback Score
    Another time eye protection is mandantory to me, after two late night trips to the ER, is running a weed eater. Being a construction professional, I surely knew better. PROTECT YOUR EYES

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Glad to see folks wearing eye protection and hopefully shooting gloves as well (they can keep burns, KaBoom shrapnel from hacking the meat away from your paws). Shit can happen and hospital bills are expensive.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Thank you for posting this, I caught myself about to fire the other day and realized I did not have my glasses on. Don't learn from your mistakes, learn from the mistakes of others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Another time eye protection is mandantory to me, after two late night trips to the ER, is running a weed eater. Being a construction professional, I surely knew better. PROTECT YOUR EYES
    I surely knew better hasn't kept me from injury. Last big I surely knew better was this summer when my wife sold her horse .It was a well bred 1380 lb Quarter horse built like a world class body builder and that horse could move. Well I wanted to take him for a good last ride and I should have put a saddle on him but I like the feel of the horse. He did a real good spin and usually when you are getting spun off I grab for a hand full of the horses mane,that will get you to land on your feet . Well I missed grabbing the mane and as I was flying like Superman looking at my hand with no mane in it all I could do was tuck and say to myself I am going to break my collar bone. Yep that is what happened. I climbed back on the horse rode him home and you know the rest of the story. YOU HAVE THE MOST FUN RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET HURT.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Ouch!
    Well, I think I need to invest in a second pair of eyepro now.
    And some more gloves- I'm a glove fiend- I love gloves. They have saved me from so much stupid over the years. I just need to remember to not wear them around drill presses... LoL

As far as being damaged by ones' AR....
    A little while ago I was going prone, and caught my nose on the corner of a DD fixed rear sight. Actually tore the nostril, so it bled all over the place. Still finished the drill though- Good times!
    Needless to say that sight was removed post haste, to be replaced with a folder.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've only been injured twice thankfully, not counting stuff like wacking myself in the nuts or knees, had a piece of brass go down the back of my top, Polly pro, and PC during SDM school while shooting from the kneeling position. The other injury was when I had my finger get eaten by the BCG when it was let forward while my finger was in the chamber, had a nice carbon, CLP and brass shavings tattoo scar for a while
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A great reminder as to why eye pro is the best money spent in my range bag...

I've not yet been injured, and I'll continue to be as safe as I know how to be.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If anyone recalls my thread about my eye giving me problems, what I am about to recall happened to my other eye (right) so that is why it was never mentioned.

To add to WHY YOU SHOULD WEAR EYE PRO:

I had a brass case stuck in my chamber of my AR. So, not knowing what to do properly, I tried to use my knife to hook onto the back of the case to get it out, I did that more than a few times, so brass flakes were everywhere. Eventually we found one of those signs that are put in people laws about which Mayor to vote for, as you may know they are held up by metal rods that stick into the grass.

We stuck it down the barrel, into the case, and pushed it out. After all this time my eye pro was taken off. Being angry since that was the third time a case got stuck that day, I loaded the mag and fired, the first shot sent a brass flake into my eye, cutting it.

It was very, very painful. It was extremely red for two weeks then it healed and was all better.

Always wear eye protection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    If anyone recalls my thread about my eye giving me problems, what I am about to recall happened to my other eye (right) so that is why it was never mentioned.

To add to WHY YOU SHOULD WEAR EYE PRO:

I had a brass case stuck in my chamber of my AR. So, not knowing what to do properly, I tried to use my knife to hook onto the back of the case to get it out, I did that more than a few times, so brass flakes were everywhere. Eventually we found one of those signs that are put in people laws about which Mayor to vote for, as you may know they are held up by metal rods that stick into the grass.

We stuck it down the barrel, into the case, and pushed it out. After all this time my eye pro was taken off. Being angry since that was the third time a case got stuck that day, I loaded the mag and fired, the first shot sent a brass flake into my eye, cutting it.

It was very, very painful. It was extremely red for two weeks then it healed and was all better.

Always wear eye protection.
    Yes you should. You should also use the correct procedure for stuck case and it would have prevented the brass shavings.

A chain of events that led to the issue.

Traditional field expedient instructions for stuck case removal in an AR-15

1. Drop mag

2. Find hard surface

3. Pull strongly on the charging handle

4. keep head clear of muzzle

5. SHARPLY smack butt of weapon on ground while pulling handle.

6. Watch stuck case eject and check for rim off case or case remaining in chamber

7. Use a chamber brush to clean your chamber

8. Resume shooting.
    Last edited by Chorizo; 12-07-13 at 16:22.
    USMC, 21 years and 21 days. But who was counting?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345