Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few additions on my 14.5" mid build... new ambi bolt catch/release

Feedback Score

A few additions on my 14.5" mid build... new ambi bolt catch/release

Added a few things to my 14.5" build. Added a Tango down short vertical forgrip, a Daniel Defense QD sling mount, VTAC/Larue sling, and a prototype/beta model of a ambi bolt catch/release.
    The bolt catch is really a interesting design. It allows you to both lock the bolt open, and release it, all with your index finger without ever having to change your firing grip. It also allows you to still operate the release/catch from the left side as normal. I've been trying it for a few weeks now. At first it took a little getting used to, as I was not used to anything being where it is. I'm still working with it, but when I remember it and use it, man is it ever fast. It attaches to the stock bolt catch. To operate it, you simply push up on the bottom of it with your index/trigger finger, and it will lock the bolt back. To release the bolt, such as after a mag change, you simply push on the end of the arm dowards, with the tip of your index/trigger finger. An interesting by product, is that to operate it either locking the bolt open, or releasing it, it forces you to have your finger off the trigger.
    Its designed by none other than Travis (President) Haley. Hopefully, we'll see it in production soon, as I believe he has lined up a pretty awesome company to make them for him.

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-20-09 at 20:29.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've always loved the look of that rifle.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The only thing I can think of that's wrong with that is that is puts your finger very close to the trigger, not really a problem with bare hands but with gloved hands it could be a problem which ends with a loud noise. I like the bolt catches that are actuated with the trigger finger like on the Robinson XCR, Bushmater ACR/Magpul Masada as I believe they are very fast.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never thought I'd see the day when Hawkeye was running a VFG....
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Neither did I. But, the nice thing is, its removable.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The only thing I can think of that's wrong with that is that is puts your finger very close to the trigger, not really a problem with bare hands but with gloved hands it could be a problem which ends with a loud noise. I like the bolt catches that are actuated with the trigger finger like on the Robinson XCR, Bushmater ACR/Magpul Masada as I believe they are very fast.
    Do not underestimate the cuizine before its served my friend!
    It gives you more room than you think.

It actually blocks your finger from going inside the guard as you push down on it... So instead of dropping your finger into the trigger (as we would normally do) you have to roll the finger back off the top of the BAD and then into the guard.

Here is a older video back when we first started testing it. Clock was showing around 1 sec reloads... now they are consistant sub 1 sec... around the same time as my transistions. Watch the direction my finger moves in slow motion:
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Video doesn't appear to be working Travis.

Feedback Score
    Works fine for me.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got one of those widgets from Travis as well. I stuck it on one of my rifles and fiddled with it a bit at home but haven't gotten to run with it yet.

As Hawkeye alluded to, the key is "remember to use it". If you do, it's extremely fast. Combine it with a Redimag and it's faster still.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I got one of those widgets from Travis as well. I stuck it on one of my rifles and fiddled with it a bit at home but haven't gotten to run with it yet.

As Hawkeye alluded to, the key is "remember to use it". If you do, it's extremely fast. Combine it with a Redimag and it's faster still.

Like anything new, yes it take a bit to get used to ... but not as long as one may think... Once you dry practice a lot with it and run consistant reload and DF malfunctions it becomes second nature...

once you are proficient, and when someone eventually hands you a standard AR you will notice that you wont want to move your hands ever again to lock the bolt ot the rear and feel very awkward trying to do so!
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast