Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Martial arts" for fitness?

Feedback Score
    In my experience to reach an high level of physical fitness practicing a martial art you won't get there by just going to the dojo twice a week or whatever. In my case when I practiced Traditional Shotokan Karate which btw in my opinion has gotten diluted to the point were it does not exist in its true orthodox form which I had the blessing of living it. I trained about twenty four hours a week wich involved weight training,lots of kihon,lots of kata,even more Kumite and an insane amount of makiwara and sand bag strikes. I could not have been in better shape than then but what I mean by all this is you can't get there if you don't actually live the way of the martial art you choose. Hope you understand what I mean.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    He meant staph (infection).

I used to run quite often but fell off the running bandwagon this year after doing a half in January. I'm way out of shape now. I can't get myself to do any cardio to supplement the training and it shows when I roll with someone who's in better shape than I am. I really need to kick it into overdrive.
    Yeah my bad, I don't check what auto correct fixes when I use my phone.

For my off days I started focusing a lot of body weight workouts and sandbag workouts. I picked up a WOSS suspension system, which is cheaper than a TRX, and started doing the TRX workouts. I also purchased some sandbags from GORUCK and have been doing their workouts or other sandbag workouts I could find. I do almost all of my training at home with equipment I have, which is plenty for Crossfit style workouts.

Here is where I will pull a lot of workouts from, since they are designed towards my lifestyle and work requirements.
    GORUCK Training
    Task Force Black Training
    Sherdog This forum is great if you're looking at MMA style workouts. I read that a lot while I was doing a lot of MMA training.

I found that things like that on my days off really helped me a lot. I built functional strength for my line of work. I have no desire to be some massive body builder.

And a lot of stretching.... and epsom salt baths.

I agree with bp7178, you need to look at what you really want to accomplish. I need workouts geared to, and made by guys who know what they're talking about, which is why I look at the two sites I gave. I need to be able to move a lot, with extra gear, have the cardio for it, all that fun stuff of walking around with guns all day and the tasks that come with it.
    Last edited by Vendetta; 10-03-13 at 09:34.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    Anyone here do any forms of martial arts to stay in shape? I'm two months into brazilian jiu jitsu (non-MMA) and it kicks my ass every class. My cardio is getting much better though since I started two months ago.
    was never in better shape than when i only did "MA".

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I know it varies from person to person but I can tell you for a fact I am healthier now than I was in August just with the martial arts. I'm taking baby steps but it beats doing zilch.
    I was used to long drawn out exercises but there's just something about giving all you got in a short period of time, ie "rolling" or sparring. I for one don't want to get injured or overwork myself. I'm just getting back into the groove of things. What I need to do is develop a weekly plan. It helps me focus more than just winging it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Couldn't decide to put this here on or GD. Well I guess it's fitness related so I guess it belongs. I couldn't find a duplicate post either (didn't search too hard).

Anyone here do any forms of martial arts to stay in shape? I'm two months into brazilian jiu jitsu (non-MMA) and it kicks my ass every class. My cardio is getting much better though since I started two months ago.
    There's no reason MA can't be part of a fitness program, but obviously it depends on the MA and your goals and existing level of fitness as well as the school /teacher it itself.

If you find what you're doing is an ass kicker (no pun intended!) than it's obviously challenging for you. I really wish I had stuck more to MA at a younger age and done through the decades.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    20+ years of MA, mixing them and such.

Just spar a lot (in whatever discipline you want), you will have no option but to get in better shape.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dp13 View Post
    20+ years of MA, mixing them and such.

Just spar a lot (in whatever discipline you want), you will have no option but to get in better shape.
    Fact.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12