Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Hawaii

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Moving to Hawaii

Finally got my first duty station - Oahu. I went there for about a week in high school and loved it, but that was before I got into shooting. I don't know whether the future wife and I will be living on post or not. If we do, I'm not even going to look into bringing any of my firearms but I am hoping there will be enough to keep us busy without them. Any members here that live or have lived there?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    When you get there see if you can get radiation readings to prove the You tube reports on the Fukushima nuke plant problem spewing radiation to the pacific ocean and west coast of the usa. Hawaii is almost paradise.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah, I've been back for a while, but I doubt a ton changes. Eurodriver was there around the same time as me, I know Honu has spent a ton of time around Oahu.

As a first duty station - don't hesitate to spend as much time as possible as far away from base as possible. You'll be pretty busy with stuff when you first get there, but get used to being at the beach.

Which station anyway?
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was over there 4 years (03-07). Loved every minute of it.
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I spend a lot of time on Oahu since my wife is from there. Most gun laws there mirror California. Still they do have ranges and clubs.
    http://www.khsc.info
    http://2ahawaii.com
    http://www.hawaiishooters.com/forums/

Feedback Score
    Short version:

Bringing guns you already own into the state is cake, just take them to the police station to register them within 72 hrs. of arriving. But be sure to check the black-list before you bring them. (NO class-3, NO "Assault Pistols", etc. At least it's not as bad as CA) You may want to call ahead for an appointment... The lines get pretty long, and the hours are a little sporadic.

Buying guns once you're here sucks. Need a "Permit to Aquire". For long guns, it's not so bad... once a year renewal, as many purchases as you want... but for handguns, it's one permit for EACH purchase... with the requisite bureaucratic time-waste, and several trips back and forth between your FFL and the HPD.

CCW doesn't exist. We're a "May issue" state... and the PD brass are all anti-gunners, most of the LEO's I've met, not so much... but they've got their orders.

Link to the statues: http://www.honolulupd.org/informatio...p?page=gunmain

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Yeah, I've been back for a while, but I doubt a ton changes. Eurodriver was there around the same time as me, I know Honu has spent a ton of time around Oahu.

As a first duty station - don't hesitate to spend as much time as possible as far away from base as possible. You'll be pretty busy with stuff when you first get there, but get used to being at the beach.

Which station anyway?
    Looks like I'll be at Schofield Barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Pick View Post
    Short version:

Bringing guns you already own into the state is cake, just take them to the police station to register them within 72 hrs. of arriving. But be sure to check the black-list before you bring them. (NO class-3, NO "Assault Pistols", etc. At least it's not as bad as CA) You may want to call ahead for an appointment... The lines get pretty long, and the hours are a little sporadic.

Buying guns once you're here sucks. Need a "Permit to Aquire". For long guns, it's not so bad... once a year renewal, as many purchases as you want... but for handguns, it's one permit for EACH purchase... with the requisite bureaucratic time-waste, and several trips back and forth between your FFL and the HPD.

CCW doesn't exist. We're a "May issue" state... and the PD brass are all anti-gunners, most of the LEO's I've met, not so much... but they've got their orders.

Link to the statues: http://www.honolulupd.org/informatio...p?page=gunmain
    Thanks for the info, I did a little looking last night and they aren't as bad as I thought, though I had heard about the CCW stuff. Now it'll just depend if I live on post or not I guess.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I was at Schofield from 01-09 ... 2nd BCT (Stryker), 25th ID, was lucky to be on the Divisions first deployment since Vietnam.. and shared in the joys of transformation from Light to Stryker

Schofield is great.. should have all new housing & barracks along with the renovated barracks from WW2

If you are married I wouldn't recommend living in Ewa Beach unless they finally figured out the traffic problems

There will be alot to do there without needing your guns, plus when I was there, burglaries were frequent

I just opted out of finishing my Army Career in Hawaii for Colorado Springs
    Last edited by GotAmmo; 10-02-13 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    Born and raised in Mililani which is just down Kam highway from Schofield and left a little over a year ago.

Cant beat the weather. The mountains just behind the base is about as georgous a backdrop as you can get. The beach is only about 15 minutes away.

Traffic can be a headache though. Construction for rail has begun I think throughout downtown so if you need to go through there make sure to take that into account. I swear everything on Oahu is like 20-30 minutes away without traffic. Once theres an accident or construction somewhere on the freeways than add another 20 minutes to an hour. Thats honestly the only thing I dont miss. And the 55 mph limit, which some locals take to mean 40.

I would strongly suggest taking advantage of the MWR oppurtunities that are on and off island. I didnt and that is one of my regrets. You can rent cabins on at least three different islands and the airfare is pretty cheap. The locations are pretty damn nice but are off the beaten path, like Barking Sands on Kauai, but its nice to not have to deal with tourist crowding.

Gun laws are kind of restrictive but not as bad as Cali(where im at now ). Theres one public range at Koko head and I think there are a few more indoor ranges than there were when I left. Ammo is pretty expensive but thats like everything else there.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. The fiance and I are big beach people so obviously looking forward to that (one thing I miss about San Diego). The MWR stuff is a great suggestion too. I lived in Iceland on the base there before it closed and MWR had so much awesome stuff to do but I hadn't even thought about it yet for Hawaii. Off the beaten path sounds perfect.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast