Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Hawaii

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Looks like I'll be at Schofield Barracks.

Thanks for the info, I did a little looking last night and they aren't as bad as I thought, though I had heard about the CCW stuff. Now it'll just depend if I live on post or not I guess.
    One more thing, there is a mag capacity limit (10) for pistols. It can be argued that since AR pistols exist, 30 rd STANAGs are high capacity pistol mags and are thus banned. No one really enforces it, but I've seen cops mention it.

I've spent about 20 yrs there.

There's apparently a new(ish) outdoor range that like no one has heard of before with much further distance than kokohead. I forget the name, but I saw their flier at kokohead a couple months back.

Edit: Nm found it, http://puuloa.com and apparently it's only open during matches.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 10-02-13 at 20:43.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    One more thing, there is a mag capacity limit (10) for pistols. It can be argued that since AR pistols exist, 30 rd STANAGs are high capacity pistol mags and are thus banned. No one really enforces it, but I've seen cops mention it.

I've spent about 20 yrs there.
    There are some who say this... But you can buy 30 rd. Pmags at nearly every gun store... where as, NO ONE sells full-cap Glock mags.

The law states you can't have a magazine that fits into a pistol, which holds more than 10 rounds. But I'm pretty sure a good case can be made... that since the statute also defines the AR-pistol (and Uzi, and others) as an "assault pistol"... therefore a STANAG mag doesn't fit into a "pistol" it fits into an "assault pistol"... and is therefore legal.

But I'm not a lawyer... and I don't even play one on TV...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
    Oh wow that mentions HDF and Chris Baker. He just moved to Cali... Unfortunately that means HDF might soon die. It's sad, I know a lot of the founders too, one is married to a friend I've known since Kindergarten, I talk to Baker all the time on FB, and another I went to law school with. I highly encourage joining HDF if it survives... They sued the Chief of Police, Mayor, Gov, etc. Because the ccl law is actually an outright ban because there are basically no ccls issued at all. It's at the 9th circuit right now on appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Pick View Post
    There are some who say this... But you can buy 30 rd. Pmags at nearly every gun store... where as, NO ONE sells full-cap Glock mags.

The law states you can't have a magazine that fits into a pistol, which holds more than 10 rounds. But I'm pretty sure a good case can be made... that since the statute also defines the AR-pistol (and Uzi, and others) as an "assault pistol"... therefore a STANAG mag doesn't fit into a "pistol" it fits into an "assault pistol"... and is therefore legal.

But I'm not a lawyer... and I don't even play one on TV...
    Yeah I'm actually family friends with the former state prosecutor and former mayor and I asked him that same thing, the contradiction that the only pistols they fit in aren't allowed. He said he wasn't going to answer that question, lol.

I'm also family friends with the current mayor. He actually announced my birth in the newspaper... As you can guess, my family is very very liberal.

I also argued that since an assault pistol is defined as having a removable magazine, an AR pistol with a bullet button or other Cali shenanigan feature would be legal. The state also makes no outright ban of SBRs, just rifles with barrels under 16" in length... So an SBR actually fits in the assault pistol definition under State law. Therefore I might be able to bring my SBR back to Hawaii if I bullet button it, lol. But I'm not moving back there any time soon.

My tip is to bring all your guns to register at once. When you get fingerprinted for the first time, you'll need exact change, down to the cent. To make it more manageable, I'd just bring receivers to the station. Also, do it on a day of leave and get there before it opens. There is literally only one place to register guns on the entire island, so you can guess how crowded it gets.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 10-02-13 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Yeah I'm actually family friends with the former state prosecutor and former mayor and I asked him that same thing, the contradiction that the only pistols they fit in aren't allowed. He said he wasn't going to answer that question, lol.

I'm also family friends with the current mayor. He actually announced my birth in the newspaper... As you can guess, my family is very very liberal.

I also argued that since an assault pistol is defined as having a removable magazine, an AR pistol with a bullet button or other Cali shenanigan feature would be legal. The state also makes no outright ban of SBRs, just rifles with barrels under 16" in length... So an SBR actually fits in the assault pistol definition under State law. Therefore I might be able to bring my SBR back to Hawaii if I bullet button it, lol. But I'm not moving back there any time soon.

My tip is to bring all your guns to register at once. When you get fingerprinted for the first time, you'll need exact change, down to the cent. To make it more manageable, I'd just bring receivers to the station. Also, do it on a day of leave and get there before it opens. There is literally only one place to register guns on the entire island, so you can guess how crowded it gets.
    That is pretty much exactly what I've heard from people that know the AG... Don't ask!!

But I never thought about the SBR thing... I'll have to do some more digging... not that I have a budget for a new SBR.

One of the perks of NOT being on Oahu... no traffic, and each of the "bigger" towns has a PD that will take registrations.

When Grant sent me my BCM Middy a few months ago.. I was able to pop in on my lunch hour to get it registered!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Pick View Post
    That is pretty much exactly what I've heard from people that know the AG... Don't ask!!

But I never thought about the SBR thing... I'll have to do some more digging... not that I have a budget for a new SBR.

One of the perks of NOT being on Oahu... no traffic, and each of the "bigger" towns has a PD that will take registrations.

When Grant sent me my BCM Middy a few months ago.. I was able to pop in on my lunch hour to get it registered!!
    Applicable sections are HRS 134-1:

"Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm of any shape with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length and capable of discharging loaded ammunition or any noxious gas.

And

"Assault pistol" means a semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine and which has two or more of the following characteristics...

And HRS 134-8, which bans
    "rifles with barrel lengths less than sixteen inches"

...which can be construed to be meaningless due to HRS 134-1 which defines any firearm with barrel length under 16" as a pistol. The main takeaway is that it does not ban SBRs by name, only by description.

So a bullet buttoned SBR would theoretically be Hawaii-legal, but still require an NFA stamp.

I'm not willing to test it with a felony, but when I get around to it, I'll ask an attorney actually licensed there.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 10-02-13 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Ahhh, Hawaii. Made many port stops there before and after deployments, and had a few vacations as well. I dont have any recommendations as far as living goes, but I can say the the Hale Koa Hotel is a must. Its right on the beach in Waikiki and is only for servicemembers. We had so much fun staying there because the rooms are nice, but still affordable. Check it out when you have a free weekend. Great beach bar, free drinks at the luau, usually a comedy show to see, and I BELIEVE they even have an MWR desk at the check in.

Damn, I need to go back to HI soon.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Ahhh, Hawaii. Made many port stops there before and after deployments, and had a few vacations as well. I dont have any recommendations as far as living goes, but I can say the the Hale Koa Hotel is a must. Its right on the beach in Waikiki and is only for servicemembers. We had so much fun staying there because the rooms are nice, but still affordable. Check it out when you have a free weekend. Great beach bar, free drinks at the luau, usually a comedy show to see, and I BELIEVE they even have an MWR desk at the check in.

Wow that's awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I liked Waikiki quite a bit but loved Kauai.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wow that's awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I liked Waikiki quite a bit but loved Kauai.
    Ya the Hale Koa is a good spot, can use the pool there anytime with just your ID.

Spent over 5 years there from 06-11. For firearm related stuff OGC Tactical probably best gun store on island, it's in downtown Honolulu.

Teddy's bigger burgers in Kailua is probably the best burgers I've ever had.

The Hilton Hawaiian has submarine tours you can take of parts of the man made reef. Shark cage dives off north shore, north shore shark adventures I believe. Polynesian cultural center If you want to see a Polynesian Epcot, the food is good at the luau and has a show at the end of the day( if go to show get the ice cream they offer).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJJackson View Post
    For firearm related stuff OGC Tactical probably best gun store on island, it's in downtown Honolulu.

Teddy's bigger burgers in Kailua is probably the best burgers I've ever had.
    I'll second the plug for OGC and Teddys. Bought my first firearm from OGC and they treated me right. Teddys is pretty damn tasty. My favorite burger spot though was Kua Aina. Aww man, now you got me thinking about all of the food I miss.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post

I was at the Hale Koa this summer and it is starting to show it's age. But for the cost it's not so bad. It's just not being maintained.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast