Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Profile Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm just trying to sort out how I'd run my DRG Raider on the front (actually figuring out the side attachment for the LBV), then I'll have mine ordered.

Right now I'm thinking all I'd need is the DRG bungee strap, and just a piece of velcro to hold that down in the back, and I should be set.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have the first spear slick.

It is not really meant to be worn for long periods of time or for concealment - this is per the rep I talked to at warrior east this year. He said it was meant to be just a quick throw-on style PC, only for hard plates (I put AR500 in mine, the ceramics fit too tightly to get a solid velcro seal). I wore it in a recent rifle class, and it wasn't comfortable, at all. I mean, it did what it needed to do, which was carry the plate in a specific position for long periods of time and unless you are bigger than me - 6'0, 180, athletic - the rear plate will not sit high enough for you to cover anything of worth. They have since released a different model (http://www.first-spear.com/product.p...cat=249&page=1) more suited for what the slick was designed for (at least for LEO's or anyone who needs that type of PC). The slick may work with a soft backer/soft plate. My uspalm 10x12 did not fit in it well, it curved and did not sit flat so it was pretty noticeable. I guess if you went smaller it would fit fine, but then its just for pistol rounds, defeats the purpose of a plate PC. Though a fitting soft plate would probably sit very flush and you could conceal it for a long period of time - something I do not have (smaller soft plate) and have not tried so take it with a grain of salt.

pix:

ar500 plate, mounted as high as possible:

with shirt on:

the back (as you can see it doesn't sit well)

and as you can see the hump it shows when you wear a one size-larger than you should be wearing button down that would normally cover everything:

So the short answer is, don't get it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Definitely not where you want the plate in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    US Army Infantry 2008-2012
    LEO 2012 - Current

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoneOne View Post
    Definitely not where you want the plate in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Obviously not.

I had a buddies wife add velcro to the front and more on the straps so I can have it more in the position I want. It works well now, to sit in the right position - I should probably take a picture of it.

Feedback Score
    That's a little disappointing from the First Spear.

This might seem like a different direction, but I am now leaning toward the Mayflower APC. While Mayflower does have a "slick" version of this carrier, it sounds like this carrier by itself is pretty low profile. If I did not add any pouches to the MOLLE it should be pretty concealable I would think (with the shoulder straps removed of course).

It seems like with this carrier is almost a 2 for 1. It can be an external or an internal carrier. I have never seen anybody use it this way, but all the reviews I have read say its pretty thin since there is no padding between you and the plate. Any thoughts on that?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If what you are going for is a slick hard plate carrier I don't think there is anything in the civilian market that works the way anyone wants.

I tried just putting the front plate in and nothing in the back, thinking it would be pretty slick, and it was, only issue was that it moves since there is no counterweight.

I think the first spear slick would work if you found soft plates for pistol protection and fit them, it would be pretty much invisible.

I've seen first hand that mayflower apc you are talking about. Unless you are wearing a layer or two and/or during the winter with a jacket it'll be seen from a mile away.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Voodoo man, what size is your first spear slick? I purchased one (L) about two weeks ago and it sits much higher in the back than yours.

Aside from just trying it on I have not had a chance to use it yet though. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it, I need to use mine a bit and decide if it's right for me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmillanman5 View Post
    Voodoo man, what size is your first spear slick? I purchased one (L) about two weeks ago and it sits much higher in the back than yours.

Aside from just trying it on I have not had a chance to use it yet though. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it, I need to use mine a bit and decide if it's right for me.
    I believe mine is an L.

I'm not a big buy by any comparison and that was with the hook/loop as far apart as possible, I wanted to show how far back it can go. With the hook/loop as far forward (with all the hook/loop used up) it sat slightly higher, but still not far enough forward for my liking.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Was browsing the tactical blogs and found this post:

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/10/07...-armor-source/

showing these armors:

this one specifically:

Looks like it was made with exactly what we are talking here in mind, concealing a PC with hard plates and soft plates.

I believe the only real way to do something like this is to follow the lines of the PC with the body.

Only issue I foresee is that these will probably be custom orders since people have different body types.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    I believe mine is an L.

I'm not a big buy by any comparison and that was with the hook/loop as far apart as possible, I wanted to show how far back it can go. With the hook/loop as far forward (with all the hook/loop used up) it sat slightly higher, but still not far enough forward for my liking.
    Makes sense, thanks for the info!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast