Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock shooters: has your grip customization shows positive results?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Glock shooters: has your grip customization shows positive results?

Im trying to decide if I want to have one of those fancy grip jobs done to one of my pistols. Removing the hump, figer grooves, sanding down the factory "raised dots" (gen4) and grooved trigger guard. Im interested if anyone has seen better shooting after having this done. Better shooting by way of accuracy, not really time to positive purchase. I guess my problem is I dont know what I dont know...Ive never held a customized frame and my fingers seemingly fit into the grooves fine. Grip tape is usually my goto for sweaty hands but the aggressive stippling seems like it works.

So, from my ramble: can anyone say, Yes, I can now shoot more accurately at distance because my gun fits my hand better and I can mitigate recoil better due solely to the framework?
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've owned a Gen3 G19 and a Gen3 G23 that had most of the work you described, I've cut two Gen 3 G17 frames to take G19 mags and stippled them, and I have close to 20k rounds downrange between the four guns.

I feel like external mods tend to improve speed and handling while internal mods tend to improve accuracy, if that makes sense.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    All my glocks are sanded and stippled with the trigger guard undercut. I don't feel that you must do this, however it does improve handling as well as recoil management. The undercut eliminates the glock knuckle as well as helping gain a higher purchase. If you go this route I always have the finger grooves taken down, and the whole grip sanded before stipple. I do not have any with reductions of any kind. As far as the trigger guard (ridge removal) thats for looks, I have one done but the rest are left alone.
    In summary its worth it, I felt the same way you did at first, now I wont have a glock any other way...

Hope this helps
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Save your money. Here is what I did to reduce the 'hump' and have an angle that resembles my 1911s.

A grip force adapter (large), with a Pachmayer rubber sleeve. The Grip force adapter fills in the 'hump', and the Pachmayer sleeve fills in the finger grooves.

It fits my hand like a glove. Try a medium GFA if you have smaller hands. Mine are huge.

All for a whopping 33 dollars.
    Last edited by beschatten; 10-04-13 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I tried the GFA but the pin walked out of one side at least 6 times during 500rd session.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, just wish I could handle some various flavors of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    I tried the GFA but the pin walked out of one side at least 6 times during 500rd session.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, just wish I could handle some various flavors of the process.

That's odd. I had to use the wood end of my hammer to get the thing in. Try a little loctite maybe?

Edit: The sleeve actually covers the trigger housing pin used by GFA.

Last edited by beschatten; 10-04-13 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I fix my pins on my GFA on my Gen3 by lightly flaring them with a soldering iron.

My Gen4 without any back straps feels just as small as my modified Gen3. If I tried beschatten's method I doubt I'd be able to reach the trigger.

I like my stippled guns, but it absolutely kills resale value unless the guy you are selling to knows the gunsmith that did the work...and likes it. I understand not caring about resale, but I have sold a lot of guns I swore I'd never sell.

I'd love to see Glock make a Gen 5 with a re-design from the ground up. Take care of the quality issues and take some lessons from just about every other polymer gun maker on ergonomics.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post

Huh, mine have been solid. The GFA was the biggest single factor in shooting better for me, due to it giving me a more comfortable and natural grip. Not a direct effect, but a prominent indirect one. One of mine has an undercut trigger guard (bought that way) and it is also increases the comfort for me greatly. I am debating the groove removal thing. They never really bother me but I shoot better with my 1911 (like most people) so I doubt getting rid of them would hurt. I am about 90% set on stippling the frame. I did the GFA to test it out after my support hand slid all over the place when they were sweaty and I didn't have gloves. It was much more uncomfortable to carry, but did not bother my hands at all while firing and seemed to help (though it probably didn't do much in reality). If I could get it done professionally I would have already, but I don't want to pay that much for stuff that I could potentially do well myself.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Huh, mine have been solid. The GFA was the biggest single factor in shooting better for me, due to it giving me a more comfortable and natural grip. Not a direct effect, but a prominent indirect one. One of mine has an undercut trigger guard (bought that way) and it is also increases the comfort for me greatly. I am debating the groove removal thing. They never really bother me but I shoot better with my 1911 (like most people) so I doubt getting rid of them would hurt. I am about 90% set on stippling the frame. I did the GFA to test it out after my support hand slid all over the place when they were sweaty and I didn't have gloves. It was much more uncomfortable to carry, but did not bother my hands at all while firing and seemed to help (though it probably didn't do much in reality). If I could get it done professionally I would have already, but I don't want to pay that much for stuff that I could potentially do well myself.
    Lots of folks get great results with the GFA. I tried one for 1k-ish rounds and saw no measurable improvement, but I'd be willing to give it another try on a different set of tests. On the other hand, I shoot a Gen3 Glock with finger grooves slightly faster/better than one that's had the finger grooves removed. I guess I'm just weird that way...

Aside from shooting better ammo, the best way I've found to improve pure accuracy has been increasing grip strength and upper-body strength.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take this for what it's worth....No, I cannot shoot my custom Glocks better than a stock Glock. Do I prefer them this way, of course, they are more comfortable for me in their modified configuration.

There are people that probably do shoot better with a modified Glock compared to a stock one. Glocks fit some people, some people they don't. Sometimes custom work can help a Glock fit a person, sometime it doesn't help. I have had tons of customers say they shoot better with their pistols after the work, but again this is subjective.

If your fairly new to Glocks, my advice is to buy lots of ammo, and shoot the crap out of them and become proficient with them in an OEM configuration.

After that, modify away until your heart is content.

TXPO

Here is the way I prefer my Glocks.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast