Thread: Amber ACOG Reticle?

Feedback Score

Amber ACOG Reticle?

Who all is a fan of the amber reticle?

After reviewing numerous posts and photos, I've surmised that most folks prefer the red recticle in their ACOG's. I realize the bottom line comes down to what color appears more dominate...or price...or what a vender happens to have in stock at the time.
    I don’t want to see a red vs. amber slugfest (unless it involves women and
    jell-o), I was just curious as to who my amber-eyed brethren were.

My personal preference is the TA47-2. I was issued one once and liked it so much I bought one for a yet to be purchased LMT carbine from Grant.
    Last edited by fabulous45s; 04-28-08 at 19:12. Reason: Shooting outside of my lane.

Feedback Score
    and why did they go red? Very interested.

Feedback Score
    I'm still eying a compact ACOG for my M4, maybe even a carry handle mount.

I want the 3X crosshair reticle model, would like the red but all I can seem to find in stock is the amber reticle.

I've collected may pics from across the net of ACOG reticles for personal comparison and the amber seems brighter in the pics during daylight but red seems optiomal at night.

Interestingly enough my TA01NSN has green tritium in it, not red or amber. Same color as the night sights from Trijicon.

I read an article where amber is more recognizable to the human eye but it was written by a Trijicon Engineer who developed the amber reticles and I'm sure was a bit biased.

Red works better with contrasting backgrounds (woods) or backgrounds with a lack of color such as a desert.

Amber would be a better urban choice.
    Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just purchased the TA33-8 (Amber) after trying out a TA11 and a TA31F, both with Red reticles if that tells you anything. Honestly I was set on the TA33, but didn't know if I wanted red of amber. The amber is surprisingly distinctive and easy for your eye to pick up. I was shocked at how well it works. Aparently Trijicon chose amber as a primary color in the ACOGs from the result of extensive research and testing on the abilities of the human eye. Also from what I am told if your colorblind the red is nearly unusable.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've owned three Trij optics, I chose amber in all three. I've also found that sometimes you can get a better price on trijicon amber reticles than a comparable red reticle.

I read somewhere during training that amber shows up better to the human eye in a broader range of conditions than red...or maybe it's the least likely color to be found in an environment so it is less likely to wash out as red might against a red background.

I did have problems with seeing the reflex amber dot reticle in bright daylight. But on my ACOG/Accu-Point there is no problem...bright and clear.

I sold the reflex but still have the others. There are nice scopes.

I'd still be curious as to why the USMC went red.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S. View Post
    and why did they go red? Very interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I'd still be curious as to why the USMC went red.
    My apologies, but in hindsight I regret inserting that into my post. Being that I wasn't there for the test & eval and there's a brick and mortar company involved, I'd be out of my lane to talk about the subject.

Rest assured it paints both parties in a positive light.