Thread: M3 Strategies / 21st century GF

Feedback Score

M3 Strategies / 21st century GF

This is a review of M3 Strategies' two day defensive handgun course. I'm the type of guy who believes next to nothing on the internet unless someone will attach their name to it. Their real-life name. My name is Tim Spotts and you can find me on Facebook. This review is long and I make no apologies for that. Your talking about spending hundreds of dollars and you deserve my full experience and opinion.

If you want someone with loads of experience in gunfights to show you the "right way" to use a gun, season you like a Christmas ham with some sea stories, and not waste your time with psychology and anatomy lessons; this class is NOT for you. If your looking for the latest cqb tactics used by operators down range, this class is NOT for you. If you want an instructor to make you feel good about the strategies and skills your employing, even if they're crap, this class is NOT for you.

Stephen Pineau of M3 Strategies (and 21st Century Gunfighter) is a firearms instructor. Let me say that again so it sinks in. He is a FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR. While his talents surpass just knowledge of firearms and their application, it's important to note that he is not in law enforcement, nor is he a former tier 1 operator. And he is very upfront and clear about what he is. Once more, a firearms instructor. This is not a "tacti-cool" class. Stephen provides a no bullshit approach to the mindset, marksmanship, and manipulation (M3) of a handgun for realistic, everyday civilian use. "I'd rather leave the house everyday with a loaded mind and empty holster instead of the other way around." If this sounds like something you want to hear, this class IS for you.

A little background of myself. I am active duty military, however all 1200 hours "downrange" are from 25,000 feet above as a flight engineer. 99.999% of me being there was for the civilian application. I started to shoot / carry a handgun in 2011 while in Jax FL. I now live in rural NW Wash and due to my hobbies and lifestyle I'm far more likely to use a gun in defense of a bear rather than a human.

For my first gun class I searched the internet for months. I'd heard about 21CG a couple years ago and liked what I saw. Stephen seemed like a simple, regular guy; that's what I loved. Not some salty dog trying to intimidate you into doing things his way. I liked that he's active on social media and if you haven't read some of his Facebook replies to guys being retarded your missing out. They are hilarious, even my girlfriend laughs. I wanted to take his class so bad I joked with her about going to TX to take one (yeah.. definitely only joking). Before that happened, he finally scheduled a class right next to Seattle. I signed up that night.

His two-day handgun class is 20 hours of instruction, costs $500, and is 1000 rounds. Although by my count it was around 600. If someone else from the class says my math is wrong, it probably is. It seemed like so much more. But maybe thats because Stephen ingrains in you from the outset, no literally the outset, that a bullet require the utmost accountability from you. Once that gun is out of the holster two people will never be the same. Yeah, TWO. Only look at recent events to see the legal shit storm coming your way. Zimmerman anyone?

I honestly could give two shits about the exact round count. I promise you the knowledge will blow your pants off and leave your balls chilly. All that wisdom comes with a downfall. One of the biggest problems I have with the class is that there is so much information no one could possibly retain it all. I told Stephen he needs a DVD or some text to keep everything in my brain. After all, your not going to be a great shooter leaving the class. But you will be a better thinker armed with knowledge of how to improve the physical skills. I have thousands upon thousands of reps to get myself, and if you don't understand that concept you may want to re-evaluate taking his class.

Anyone who wants to learn will. His class is for anyone. Even you. His course is rooted in fundamentals. Attending the class were master class competitive shooters, industry guys and gals, guys who had been shooting 3 months, some 3 days, a guy on crutches, ex-military, and a cop. I promise everyone there walked out saying, "Wow, that was amazing." And it's not because Stephen is a feel good kind of guy. There were times where I felt embarrassed and borderline shameful because of the bullshit he calls you out on. I'm guilty of a lot of the industry "standards" that are crap. And he has no problem letting you know how he feels. At the end of the day, if you can check your ego you will expose a lot of fallacies that you've probably adopted.

You can see that after this class I'm a Stephen Pineau fan. There were a couple negatives, i.e. he doesn't put a lot a pressure or competition into the curriculum. Not a huge deal, that's how he runs his classes and I totally respect that. That's why there's IDPA right? Some people might prefer that environment. Cool. We all have opinions. What I saw as cons had no effect on the amount of training I received, which is why we're all there.

If your still questioning whether this class is right for you; here's a story about the type of guy Stephen Pineau is. Not only did he give me a free catalyst for my M&P, he was upset I didn't show interest in one earlier so I could run it in class. He cares about his products and his students. Personally, I just didn't want to seem like a mooch. If you get the chance to have a beer with him, you'll realize not just how awesome and eye opening his class is, but what an awesome person he is.

Again, this class was in Bellevue, WA just outside Seattle but that was his first class in the area. The majority of his training is in TX and I'd recommend it to all you guys and gals down there. Happy to answer any questions or elaborate on anything I missed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this, sounds like a really worthwhile class.

I saw this via West Coast on FB. I would definitely have considered checking it out but had already done back to back classes not long before: Insights Street & Vehicle II with Greg Hamilton and John Holschen and then TAPS with Pat McNamara the next weekend.

I'll have to keep an eye out to see if he gets back up here.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    It was a great class man. Really hope he does more training up here. I think the consensus by most of the guys was they would love a carbine class, just not sure where it would be.

I never heard of WCA before the class. Didn't realize they had so much training to offer. Those sound like badass classes. I'm actually a couple hours away from Bellevue but I'll definitely look into going back down there. I thought they did a great job as a host range.