Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is Military Arms Channel author a hipster or just giving out bad advice?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Trying to steer myself in my own lane, I will note that contrary to what Tim (MAC) has mentioned, there are more and more SWAT types using a more outstretched grip. It is actually slowly trickling down into base LE type of training, however since the NRA is the predominant instructor training base for LE, the NRA would need to get themselves out of the dark ages and up to speed with their training curriculum before it really rooted itself. And I am not just talking about how to grip a patrol rifle, etc... Granted I am the driving force behind my own full time unit, however skills have dramatically increased in the years I have been the primary factor in firearms training. As I have said many times, even on video, the technique is nothing new, just that when the MP5's ruled the day the technique changed to suit that weapon. When the M4's became king, the MP5 technique followed into the M4 until rail systems got longer, then we naturally progressed back into a better technique. Of course we have many ways to hold a rifle and if one were to watch me or any of my guys for that matter clear a structure, you would see many types of ways in which the rifle is manipulated or held.

As for the military, I am in a unique situation where I do get the opportunity to train with, observe, or have students that have come from various high speed units (active and former) from all the branches of the military. I currently have a 4th force fella running a stripped down standard issue carbine length and a KAC rail. Day 1 of rifle I noted that he had a thumb over with the index finger pointing straight along the side of the rifle up near the FSB. Granted this was a typical issue carbine length with a KAC rail, but he was making as much use of it as he could. I asked if this was unique to his own style and he related that many guys in his unit run this as a default if they strip everything off the rifle, but getting farther out no matter the configuration is the goal. Of course when they are rucking it for hours on end it another story. So again configuration of the rifle and their situation definitely played a role for these guys.

Yea I guess so. I don't get bothered easily, but that blog article was terrible, especially in his approach to how he made claims of accuracy towards his content.

As has been mentioned, Tim (MAC) has a platform and audience to speak towards and while he has a right to his opinions he has a responsibility that goes along with it. Again he does seem like a good dude, lets just hope that his own little piece of fame doesn't skew his ability to stay open minded and relay hopefully good information, all the while understanding what he knows and what he doesn't. The more notoriety one gains the harder it becomes to be more cognizant of knowing that you don't know and admitting it openly.
    LOL. Ole man Santoro and myself will BURN PEOPLE DOWN for calling a magazine a clip. You on the other hand are very easy going and rarely vent (even when the person deserves it). So it was funny to me to see you say what you did.

I know I will get hate mail for this comment, but I think it needs to be said. My experience with Marines in shooting schools has not been all that great. They are typically hard headed and closed minded. They know (and believe in) what the USMC has taught them and cannot accept new concepts. Set in their ways would be accurate wording.

The post by MAC in the Blog would be an example of the above. I am sure MAC is a good dude, but as you said, we need to pay close attention to what we write because tons of folks are watching (for good and bad reasons).

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's a more than reasonable generalization, RE: Marines. Been that guy, for my sins...one's own feet taste terrible and never get any more palatable with time.

To narrow it a bit, I room with/work with a former 2nd FAST (stands for Fake-Ass SeAL Team) guy, have interacted pretty closely with peers/colleagues of his, and have yet to run across a group of folks that take that general institutional obstinance to the extremes they do....particularly despite having asccess to the non-tainted-fruit schools that they to.

THAT'S the part that bakes my noodle, is how many of them can be exposed to so much other non-stovepiped stuff, where the whys and wherefores are reasonably explained within a context that fits with their mission set, and STILL say "*knife-hand* Naw, that stuff dpon't work because yut-yut devildog ooh-rah! *spit* *wipe chin because he knows everything he ever needs to know about spitting, too, so don't even TRY...*"

Other co-workers are former MARSOC plankowners, Force guys, a SAWIC dude, another LAR guy....love him like a brother, but our Security Forces bubba is a good rep for his commidity area, and I just don't see how he bends, given where that stick is inserted...
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Haters!

Next thing you'll be telling me is that Chesty Puller was a leg.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910