Thread: AAR: Magpul Dynamics - Dynamic Shotgun - Pueblo, CO

Feedback Score

Thumbs up AAR: Magpul Dynamics - Dynamic Shotgun - Pueblo, CO

Here's a quick AAR on the Dynamic Shotgun course I hosted this past weekend. We had a great group of students. Most were from the Colorado area, but we did have several from out of state. We had several law enforcement officers, but the majority of students were civilians. We had a variety of shotguns, both pump and semi-auto. The pump shotguns were mainly Remington 870's and the semi-auto shotguns were from Remington and Benelli. There was a wide variety of ammunition, and a variety of handguns. Steve Fisher was our instructor, and as usual, he did an excellent job. Not only can he shoot very well, but he's an incredible instructor.

We covered a lot of material both days. The two points that stuck with me from the class were patterning and change overs, which I cover below.

Patterning
    Patterning is critical with a shotgun; you must pattern your shotgun! Steve showed us how one type/brand of ammunition can pattern well in one shotgun, and pattern much differently in a different shotgun. The only way to find the ammunition with the tightest pattern is to go to the range and try it. As most in the firearms community understand, we're looking for a tight pattern, not a wide pattern. Pattern your ammunition at different distances to know what your maximum effective distance is before you might transition to slugs or another firearm. Wads are very unpredictable, but as we saw in class, they can still do an incredible amount of damage.

Change Overs
    I've taken another shotgun course with another school where we covered buckshot to slug change overs and did a lot of drills on them. I've seen different configurations were you load buckshot in the tube, and then a mix of buckshot and slugs on the sidesaddle. And on the sidesaddle, you might put the buckshot in one direction, and the slugs in another direction. For the civilians, and also the law enforcement officers (because of department policy), Steve recommended sticking to just one type of ammunition in the tube and on the sidesaddle. And on the sidesaddle, keep all the shells loaded in the same direction. For most, the shotgun is a bed side home defense weapon, so running in this type of configuration has several benefits. First, what's the likelihood that you'll need the range of a slug inside your home? Unless you live in a mansion with long halls, probably unlikely. And buckshot, if you've done your patterning, can be very effective out at a distance. Second, when things go "bump in the night," adrenaline will kick in and you will likely lose your fine motor skills, so having a single type of ammunition in and on your shotgun, and having that ammunition loaded in a consistent manner, is a must. The KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Thanks to all of the students that came out, particularly the law enforcement officers. Thanks also to Steve for his great instruction; I learned a ton as usual. And finally, thanks to the guys at the range, Rivers Edge Outdoors. Looking forward to doing some more training next year; keep an eye out on this forum for the 2014 schedule.
    Last edited by Wolverines!; 10-07-13 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Had a good friend of mine in that class. I was really hoping to go but a new job has eaten up all of my time. Glad it was a success. Hopefully I'll make it out for 2014.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I wanted to go to this so badly. But alas, the price of ammo, the class, my vacation hours, etc etc was just too much. Glad it went well, maybe next year.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    good to know I'll get opportunities to take a course or two when I move up to Colorado Springs, granted my assignment doesn't get deleted again

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the AAR. I'm hoping they have a 2014 class.
    "Live Free or Die"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NICE man