Thread: Advice on 1-4x Scopes

Feedback Score

Advice on 1-4x Scopes

First this is going to be for my patrol rifle. My current assignment is the "Retail Detail" for my department which includes one huge indoor mall and one medium size outdoor mall. I am looking at the 1-4x scopes for the dual purpose of CQB and longer ranges (in particular target ID) the indoor mall has a couple areas that are 150+ yards. Here are some of the scopes I am interested in:

1. Horus Talon with the H50 reticle

2. Nightforce NXS

3. Elcan Specter DR (some like it and others really don't like it)

The S&B Shot Dot is out of my budget and the current wait is too long. Also I have tried a friend's Aimpoint and 3x magnifer and did not like it (really felt like I was looking through a straw). I am really looking for something that does both CQB and Longer Range work well. If you have any other suggestions, please list them. Thanks in advance for responding.

Jim B.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbcody View Post
    First this is going to be for my patrol rifle. My current assignment is the "Retail Detail" for my department which includes one huge indoor mall and one medium size outdoor mall. I am looking at the 1-4x scopes for the dual purpose of CQB and longer ranges (in particular target ID) the indoor mall has a couple areas that are 150+ yards. Here are some of the scopes I am interested in:

1. Horus Talon with the H50 reticle

2. Nightforce NXS

3. Elcan Specter DR (some like it and others really don't like it)

The S&B Shot Dot is out of my budget and the current wait is too long. Also I have tried a friend's Aimpoint and 3x magnifer and did not like it (really felt like I was looking through a straw). I am really looking for something that does both CQB and Longer Range work well. If you have any other suggestions, please list them. Thanks in advance for responding.

Jim B.

Out of those three, get the NXS and do not look back.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    While a friend of mine was in Ramadi, Iraq with his band of brothers from the 101st AB, he used his own Horus Talon mounted on his M4 to great success. He was only shooting some guys running around with AKs and IEDs.

Feedback Score
    Of those listed I'd put my money into the NSX. I actually am going to shortly.
    A day visible reticle is a big benefit for acquisition in duty work. NF is suppose to have one available soon if not currently.

I'd be comfortable in your situation with an ACOG as well.
    I'll come to your piston gun party but I'm not going to drink the cool-ade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbcody View Post
    If you have any other suggestions, please list them.
    If you want to save some cash,consider the Accupoint TR21 (if you haven't considered it already). Some people hate the reticle. Also the FOV isn't as good as some other options. I shoot the TR21 both eyes open, so the FOV isn't a huge problem as far as situational awareness is concerned.

Honestly, although I love my TR21, I would prefer a 1-4x Nightforce NSX with the FC-2 reticle. But the NSX is about twice as much

If you have the money, I would go with the NSX. The only downside I have heard about on the NSX 1-4 is the magnification adjustment moving due to recoil (even on a 5.56). On the TR21, the magnification adjustment is very stiff...too stiff feeling for some, but at least it doesn't move about

Feedback Score

Did you read this thread? Good 1-4 info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    Did you read this thread? Good 1-4 info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104
    Yeah I did, it was just that some of the information was over a year old. For instant, a couple posts that Nightforce was/has/is coming out with a new reticle. Also the Horus Talon has gone from the 47 reticle to the 50 reticle. I was really wondering if those two brands got the problem solved of the lit reticle being washed out by daylight.

I am going to probably end up with an Aimpoint ML3 and 3x magnifer on one rifle and an ACOG TA33 on the other. Thanks to all for responding.

Feedback Score
    Good deal. Sounds like you know your shit! Welcome to M4C. You can't go wrong with the Aimpoint or Triji....just remember to get the 2MOA ML3 if you plan on using a magnifier.