Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt SP1 issues

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Colt SP1 issues

Let me start from the beginning.

I was hired in 1989. I recall in the very early 90s shooting a full auto 20" AR platform rifle. It had the A1 type stock and triangle hand guards. I remember that day….clearly and dumping 20 round mags.

I eventually became the dept armorer (but SWAT stuff was not my responsibility). About 5 years ago, I observed a SWAT Officer assigned an A1 receiver AR as his rifle. I did a once over on the rifle and saw it was a Colt SP1 but it was not correct in that it had a heavy 16" 1/9 barrel and the hand guards were cheap A2 style. The officer wanted me to help him put optics on this rifle. The rifle concerned me as I knew there had been changes made so I got with the SWAT commander and they removed it from the line and I took possession of it. I stuck it in a corner with intentions of checking this firearm.

This rifle is full auto but missing parts (the hammer and trigger are semi auto). I recall reviewing our full auto paper work and seeing a Colt SP1 as full auto. I had asked Admin about the gun missing full auto parts and it turns out they were possibly removed by a shady officer some years back who was the armorer and suspected of stealing the parts from this gun. I told them that if this gun was originally a 20", he also took the barrel, hand guards and stock.

The stock is shiny hard plastic adjustable with two sling slots. The receiver extension was originally two position but it was drilled for multi positions.

Serial Number dates past 1982. SP16XXXX

Fast Forward to today

I dug the rifle out of my cabinet and I am glad I took it off line. The gas tube must be an original and or damaged as the build up for gas debris is heavy around the FSB and where the tube meets the gas key (meaning it was leaking gas). The A2 front sight based has cast markings and I am unable to remove the gas tube. Assuming built up debris has seized the tube in the front sight base. There is no raised area on the gas tube where it meets the gas key (as if trimmed). The barrel nut was also not very tight. I plan to pull the ATF paperwork to see what this gun was originally and now for my questions.

I doubt the PD will allow me to spin any money on this gun to try and return it to original, but I would like to get it close with least amount of cost.

Is there a resource for Mil Spec type surplus parts to get the SP1 close to original and safe too shoot? (Not necessarily Colt parts but decent mil spec stuff)

Hell, I don't know if any of the parts left on the gun are original Colt. The bolt carrier is full auto.

I heard this officer when he left employment with us, he got hired by another dept and later got fired for internal wrongdoing. Good for him! He was long gone before we discovered and suspected he took the full auto stuff from this SP1.

There is no one left at the dept to give me the history of this gun. It may have been evidence that was awarded to our dept by the courts. I am not able to verify this was the same rifle I shot in the early 90s.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 06-14-15 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can you get some really good pictures of the SP1? That would help in determining exactly what you have and what you will need.

Here is a picture of my 1981 SP1 Carbine.

The barrel is stamped C MP CHROME BORE and is a 1/12 twist. If the stock looks like the one on mine, then it is a Colt vinyl acetate coated aluminum stock that was original to the SP1 Carbines along with the 2-position receiver extension. The handguards are of the 6-hole variety. How much does the one you have differ from this one besides the full-auto conversion?
    Last edited by Renegade04; 06-14-15 at 19:53.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I have the rifle completely apart right now except for the receiver extension. I will snap pics tomorrow.

Now you got me thinking.....this might not be the same rifle I shot in the 90s.

The barrel I know is not Colt. Very heavy under the handguards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have the rifle completely apart right now except for the receiver extension. I will snap pics tomorrow.

Now you got me thinking.....this might not be the same rifle I shot in the 90s.

The barrel I know is not Colt. Very heavy under the handguards.
    What upper receiver does it have? A1, A2, or A3? If it has an A2 upper receiver, it could have a Colt AR6525 AR-15A2 Government Carbine upper. That had a 1/9 barrel. Not sure of the profile under the handguards. If it has an A3 upper, it could have a Colt AR6721 AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine which has a 1/9 HBAR barrel.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    It's an A1 upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's an A1 upper.
    Okay. I look forward to seeing the pictures. If you can get pics of the barrel markings, gas tube, and FSB and markings that will help too.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Cool....Will do.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I am not the best picture taker….and can take more if needed. has some paint on the lettering. I will remove. Forgot to take a picture of the other side. No forward assist.

heavy build up on gas tube

unless early gas tubes were different….this has no raised area where it meets the gas key

small parts, A2 flash hider, round hand guard cap, no full auto trigger components, no full auto selector. and enough peel washers to start a parts store

heavy barrel, not a Colt (at least I don't think so) had many steps .980", .950" all they way to .750". regular looking barrel nut assembly.

FSB

Bolt marked MP

stock and hand guards. I was wrong on the stock, its dull plastic

bolt carrier, staked gas key but I could not find any markings
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 06-15-15 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    heavy barrel, not a Colt (at least I don't think so) had many steps .980", .950" all they way to .750". regular looking barrel nut assembly.
    that's a bushmaster barrel.

Feedback Score
    Legally if this gun is a F/A and owned by the PD then you can buy a full auto trigger set easy to work with that auto sear I see the gun has. Gas tube looks like it has had a good use in 3rd gear. Replace front sight base and tube. USCore replicas has old m16 stocks for sale. The gun just needs a gas tube and front sight with the m16 trigger group. Midway usa has colt m16 trigger groups for $45-50 and a regular trigger group is the same price. Also its a MG in the books so it needs to be a MG!
    Your looking at about $50-300 depending on what you want to do. Barrel and stock will cost the most in your build. But you got a barrel and only need trigger group, gas tube, front sight, and stock.
    Last edited by militarymoron; 06-15-15 at 22:25. Reason: Edited to remove entire quoted post/pics.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast