Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Vintage M16A1 in use by a local LEO agency... tricked out

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    No fun switch??

Its great to see these M16's in service though.
    It's there, the lowers will accept it, but they put a "block" of some sort in. I have no inspected it yet, but I know its there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandanabandit1 View Post
    I was always fascinated by what Dept's have in their arms rooms. I wonder if their are any older weapons (Thompsons, M14's, grease guns, etc.) still in use somewhere.
    My hometown dept has M-14's

They use them for parades

They have the budget for new M4 types for patrol and ERT

I'm sure that this dept is not unique. Lots of old thompsons, reisings, AC556's, and M-14's stuffed in dept arms rooms around the country. Nobody quite sure what to do with them, so they sit.

Neat to see these old rifles being used again. I wonder how many guys with personally owned tricked out carbines pick these up and have that moment of realization of just how light and handy the old guns really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX View Post
    Lots of old thompsons, reisings, AC556's, and M-14's stuffed in dept arms rooms around the country. Nobody quite sure what to do with them, so they sit.
    The smart ones sell them, or trade them for for weapons they need, because they are worth big money. The others keep them locked away, for fear of political backlash in what amounts to epic fraud, waste and abuse.

Feedback Score
    The local sheriff's office has 3 Thompsons. I think they are WW2 surplus. They sit in the safe. I am sure there is no paperwork. The local sheriff let me look through the safe years ago.

A local game warden carries a beat up M14 in his truck.

There they sit. The BATF has more important things to worry about than guns held by police departments.

Feedback Score
    We received some of the Milsurp 1033 M16A1s several years back. Boy was I shocked when I opened up the boxes to find we received NIB unfired rifles. The cardboard box was marked with several lines of codes and info as well as Colt's address and the manufacture date of 12/75. Upon opening, the upper and lower were apart and wrapped in the metallic looking paper. A cardboard rod was inside the bore and there was an accessory pack sealed in plastic with the magazine, sling, and manual. All shot great and were used on the street (semi-auto conversion done by armorer).

As far as other weapons, we have a dozen M14s (some in auto), an M2 carbine, and a woodstocked Reising (until a few years ago). The M14s were also military surplus on loan to us and the M2 has been here since forever with no one knowing how it came to be in our armory. I was lucky and a serial number search of the Reising showed it had been transferred to us in 1947 and properly registered. A dealer brokered a deal for us and we received close to $6,000 for the Reising in trade (used to purchase new M4s for a few of the SWAT guys).

Coolest gun was another nearby agency - they have had a BAR since the 1940s. It works and sometimes goes to the range for fun shoots nce the training day is done but it never sees the street. Wish it was in our inventory.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Excellent build. I'm glad to see that your dept in the Great State of Pennsylvania allowed that customization.

as far as other old rifles, there is a local LEO agency here in Michigan that does infact have a Thompson M1. Idon't think they carry it in a car anymore, but they do shoot it at the range for qualification and it is "on duty" at the barracks.
    I believe every Sheriff's Department in Vermont had a Thompson at one point. I would think most of them have been sold. The LESO program allows you to upgrade the weapon but you need to maintain all of the original parts in case the weapon needs to be returned to the government. We had an inspection a few weeks ago. They looked at our M14 and M16. They asked to take photos of the M16 to use as an example of an upgraded weapon.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345