Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage M16A1 in use by a local LEO agency... tricked out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had an M16A1 in basic training. It did everything I asked it to do. The only thing I would recommend is going back to an A1 buttstock.

Feedback Score
    How's that 1:12 barrel with heavier weight bullets?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    How's that 1:12 barrel with heavier weight bullets?
    Accuracy tends to drop off when shooting anything heavier than a 62g bullet out of the rifles I have fired. The 62g accuracy is so-so, much like shooting 55g rounds out of a 1:7 twist barreled carbine we have in the armory.

M193 ball really shines with the M16A1 rifles we got from D.O.A. There are a lot of commercial 55g soft point loads on the market, which gives you options for defensive ammunition.

The D.O.A. M16A1 rifle program is a really sweet deal for a department on a tight budget.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My department has 3 M16s. Not A1s or A2s, original M16s with no forward assist or shell deflectors.

Here's mine....
    Before:

After:
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    My department has 3 M16s. Not A1s or A2s, original M16s with no forward assist or shell deflectors.

Here's mine....
    Before:

After:
    I see what you did there. Completely took up the old linoleum floor tile and laid some proper stone. Nice.

Am half-surprised that the upgrades were allowed to go quite that far on the rifle, notwithstanding the obvious logic of getting them done. Must be working for a fairly enlightened department/agency.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I see what you did there. Completely took up the old linoleum floor tile and laid some proper stone. Nice.

Am half-surprised that the upgrades were allowed to go quite that far on the rifle, notwithstanding the obvious logic of getting them done. Must be working for a fairly enlightened department/agency.

AC
    Thanks Chuck,
    The new floor is spectacular......

Because we have to retain all of the parts from the original rifles, all we did was add collapsable stocks and used approved personal uppers. The can isn't approved, it's just on there for the pics. Duffy donated BAD A.S.S safeties so they match our existing semi auto rifles that are in our patrol vehicles. All rifles have ambi safeties.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I was always fascinated by what Dept's have in their arms rooms. I wonder if their are any older weapons (Thompsons, M14's, grease guns, etc.) still in use somewhere.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    USAF procured rifles that were like the Army issued A1 but lacked the forward assist. They ordered everything without it. It was in the 60s significantly more expensive with the FA.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandanabandit1 View Post
    I was always fascinated by what Dept's have in their arms rooms. I wonder if their are any older weapons (Thompsons, M14's, grease guns, etc.) still in use somewhere.
    We had a few hundred Department of the Army M-14's. The bean counters did not like the fact that .308 was more expensive than .223 ammunition, so they were put in mothballs.

Unfortunately, the rifles were transferred to another agency a few years ago.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Thanks Chuck,
    The new floor is spectacular......

Because we have to retain all of the parts from the original rifles, all we did was add collapsable stocks and used approved personal uppers. The can isn't approved, it's just on there for the pics. Duffy donated BAD A.S.S safeties so they match our existing semi auto rifles that are in our patrol vehicles. All rifles have ambi safeties.
    Excellent build. I'm glad to see that your dept in the Great State of Pennsylvania allowed that customization.

as far as other old rifles, there is a local LEO agency here in Michigan that does infact have a Thompson M1. Idon't think they carry it in a car anymore, but they do shoot it at the range for qualification and it is "on duty" at the barracks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast