Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage M16A1 in use by a local LEO agency... tricked out

Feedback Score
    Awesome rifle, just awesome Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    We had a few hundred Department of the Army M-14's. The bean counters did not like the fact that .308 was more expensive than .223 ammunition, so they were put in mothballs.

Unfortunately, the rifles were transferred to another agency a few years ago.
    A few hundred?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandanabandit1 View Post
    A few hundred?
    Yes. Several that I inspected were in outstanding condition. I fired two of them and they were really accurate rifles.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-23-13 at 14:49.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Yes. Several that I inspected were in outstanding condition. I fired two of them and they were really accurate rifles.
    We got 3 of them and they were never fired.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    We have them on the streets right now.

The armory refitted them without auto ability.
    Same with out local sheriff dept. Got them all free for the guys that didnt want to buy/ couldnt afford their own ars.

Feedback Score
    Co-witnessed Aimpoint, offset mount light, and side mount sling... that is a solid setup. Definitely making the most of it. A friend asked my advice on the ideal setup for his old fixed carry handle A2 style rifle, assuming he didn't want to trade out his upper for a flat top, and those are the exact mods I recommended.

That said, I would much rather see all these old rifles going to the CMP for sale to citizens, minus the lower, as parts kits.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    Co-witnessed Aimpoint, offset mount light, and side mount sling... that is a solid setup. Definitely making the most of it. A friend asked my advice on the ideal setup for his old fixed carry handle A2 style rifle, assuming he didn't want to trade out his upper for a flat top, and those are the exact mods I recommended.

That said, I would much rather see all these old rifles going to the CMP for sale to citizens, minus the lower, as parts kits.
    Unfortunately, the aimpoint didn't cowitness, but it wouldn't be hard to change that.
    I too would like to see them sold as parts kits through the CMP. hell, they could even mod the lower to comply. But this government won't consider that, no way.
    The guy who uses the rifle for duty has it in his head that he is going to buy it from the dep't when he retires, but that lower isn't going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    If you take that spacer out of the Aimpoint mount, it would probably co-witness. Yeah, no way in hell he's taking that thing home with him... no way it is in the Class 3 registry. For the same reason, they couldn't just mod the receivers to sell them into the private sector (unfortunately). Once a MG, always a MG according to the ATF.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    We have them on the streets right now.

The armory refitted them without auto ability.
    No fun switch??

Its great to see these M16's in service though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That old A1 is pretty cool, I'd definitely take it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast