Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar hunting with 5.56?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Boar hunting with 5.56?

Is it possible? And is it cruel to use that round as opposed to 300 blackout?

Other than the fact I'm killing pork I wanna be kosher lol.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Moved to appropriate Hunting subforum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd say "use something bigger and more powerful than 5.56/.223."

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I've done it a few times. .223 will get the job done, with proper load selection and shot placement, on hogs under 200lbs, and I broke out the .223 when I realized that over 90% of the hogs where I hunt are under, well under, 200lbs. I use bonded SP's & think solid copper HP's ought to work.

I freely admit that my choice of .223 WILL bite me in the arse when I get a big pig in range.

Feedback Score
    I've killed a bunch a hogs over the years with ar's. 70 grain TSX works exceptionally. No problems for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I havent had the best of luck with the 5.56 with pigs. It kills them but I have to shoot each one several times. I was using the MK 262. I'm am going to have to try a different bullet and see how that works.

But from my limited experience, the 300 Blackout has a lot more stopping power. The 300 BLK was a one shot stop/drop on the hog while the 5.56 has been a pop them till they drop experience and sometimes it takes 5 or 7 shots to kill them with the 5.56.

I'm starting to have my doubts with the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Check out this thread.

Bullet selection and placement is everything.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Thousands of people use 5.56/.223 for wild boar. They are considered pest animals in most cases, like prairie dogs or rats. They destroy hundreds of thousands of acres of crops every year. It depends on what you are comfortable with and how accurate you are (shot placement) with your rifle. People use anything from 55 gr FMJ to 77 gr SMK.

I've seen people use .22LR for hog hunting, something that I've never considered doing myself. If it's possible to kill hogs with a .22LR then 5.56/.223 55 gr will be as powerful as .22LR at the muzzle out to 600 yards and much more powerful than that at shorter ranges. It's all based on your comfort and skill level. Many companies offer products geared towards hog hunting with .223 like the Savage model 11 Hog Hunter or Leupold Hog scopes so it must be acceptable in the industry and among most hunters.
    Appeasement is never the answer in the face of naked aggression.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    .223 is a great round for boar.

at 550-600y. M193 has closer to the energy of a 9mm. Even more than a 22lr.
    Last edited by Shiz; 10-11-13 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    No problems what so ever with .223/5.56 on hogs. 70gr TSX will take care of them all day long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast