Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets say you got some change to play with

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    M&P-10 is the best value for an AR 308.....
    I shot one Friday, I was favorably impressed. Not like S&W's last foray into other than handguns. They imported some rifles and shotguns with the S&W name on them, they were nothing special. They also got into manufacturing ammo. I had the opportunity to visit their ammunition loading operation. They had a lady emptying boxes of 100 primers into quart Mason jars which were used to feed the loading machines. She had about half a dozen jars full of primers. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. If one of those jars had mass detonated for whatever reason it would have killed everyone for 40 feet. Their ammo was junk. I got a couple thousand pieces of 357 magnum brass from a cop. Damn, I thought I hit the jackpot! They split on the first reload. When they were loaded, not when they were shot.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 10-12-13 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I found myself in a very similar position recently.. I bought the CMMG Mk3 CBR.. It's outfitted with what I wanted and was <$1800 shipped..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    I found myself in a very similar position recently.. I bought the CMMG Mk3 CBR.. It's outfitted with what I wanted and was <$1800 shipped..
    I will be interested in hearing how the CMMG performs for you. I always find myself looking at .308 AR platforms, but between sticker shock at the higher end, and a lack of commonality between manufacturers, I haven't yet decided if it's worth it to me to buy one. The CMMG seems to have potential to me, though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would hunt down a POF 308 for sure. Find the barrel length that works for you.

O

Feedback Score
    For under 2k I would get a DPMS SASS. The Smith is lighter, but the black cat is a heavier free float bbl and match trigger that will have you driving a moa or better rifle out of the box. The M&P 10 may be good quality, but a sub moa shooter it is not and that is experience from shooting 2 different versions (1 with the ridiculous FH and 1 without with what appeared to be a heavier bbl). Are there better shooters than a SASS? Yes, but they are not under 2k. A SASS can be had locally for around $1700.
    Last edited by redhooker; 10-13-13 at 23:35.

Feedback Score
    not trying to hijack the thread from the OP... however....

Could someone please educate me on why no one has suggested a colt 901? Is it the weight? Or the availability? Or are there other issues that I haven't realized?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumly View Post
    not trying to hijack the thread from the OP... however....

Could someone please educate me on why no one has suggested a colt 901? Is it the weight? Or the availability? Or are there other issues that I haven't realized?

Thanks
    Colt 901 and LMT MWS are both excellent rifles, but retail on either one is far above $2000. OP said he would be getting it at cost, but most of us aren't dealers and don't know what cost is on those - I'm guessing cost on the MWS is still over $2k, and right around $2k on the 901.

Availability is also an issue with either one, but it is for most of the nicer stuff and that doesn't usually stop people from recommending one.

OP, if you can get the MWS or 901 within your price range, both are great. If not, the M&P10 is also very nice, and its retail is well under $2k so I know it's within your price range. Some of the DPMS models offer more accuracy than the M&P10, but I think the S&W is more nicely made; however the DPMS LR-308 is probably the most accurate .308 AR under $2k, depending what the MWS sells for. The Armalite is probably around the M&P10 in quality, but most models use a proprietary magazine that you don't want to mess with. Skip the RRA LAR-8, it is almost 100% proprietary (basically everything except grip, stock, and trigger group) and does not, to me, have anything to recommend it.

This is based on currently owning a 901, M&P10, and DPMS LR-308B, and a .223 Armalite-brand AR, and having briefly owned and sold an LAR-8.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So far it's been all I could ask for. Surprisingly light weight and low recoil with the first two rounds about 7/16" center to center at 100 meters.. It runs real good on range grade ammo. I haven't tried match ammo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by throwback View Post
    I will be interested in hearing how the CMMG performs for you. I always find myself looking at .308 AR platforms, but between sticker shock at the higher end, and a lack of commonality between manufacturers, I haven't yet decided if it's worth it to me to buy one. The CMMG seems to have potential to me, though.
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M&P 10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12