Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a fire - fundamentals

Feedback Score

Building a fire - fundamentals

Probably (hopefully) kicking in an open door here, but I had a good opportunity to build a fire today, and take some pictures. Figured I'd offer some thoughts.

First, prepare your tinder, kindling, smaller sticks and fire wood:

I like to first get a fire going, then I can gather enough wood to last for however long I need. A good rule here is to gather 2-3 times as much as you think you need.

I also prefer to use readily available materials, preferably dead wood. It is easy to gather, much of it does not require tools to break into smaller pieces, and requires less effort than cutting down living trees or standing dead trees.

Avoid using wet or moist wood initially. Makes a lot of smoke and can easily ruin a good base/ember. Wet logs can, however, be dried up next to the fire, so do not write off wet wood completely.

Depending on the purpose of the fire, heating for shelter, food, plan the layout of the type of fire you need, so you achieve the desired effect. Some fires also require more wood than others. Things to think about:

-Reflector
    -Base
    -Protection/boundary

For this fire I used a piece of bark as the base, and used a circle of rocks to limit the possibility of the fire spreading. A good tip when building a fire that serves as heat for a shelter, is to place a log between you and the fire, to prevent you from rolling into the fire.

The base is especially important during winter, as the fire will melt the snow beneath it, as well as around it. I prefer to dig a hole or pit in the snow, right down to the ground. This way the walls of the hole serve as reflectors, and the fire doesn't sink into the ground.

Start by lighting your tinder, and make sure you have a good flame before adding kindling:

I used Witch's hair as tinder for this fire.

Add your kindling little by little, until you have a solid flame and a pretty good ember going:

When this is done, you can start adding smaller sticks, whilst building the foundation of your fire around the base:

You can do some work beforehand, with regards to the foundation, depending on the type of fire you want. This was purely for enjoyment, so I built my foundation around the flame. Keep in mind that air circulation is important.

Kindling, sticks and wood was from a fallen fir. I only used a single match.

Another good thing is to have help:

Good help is invaluable.

Good times:

It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Kids are awesome for gathering kindling. That task always went to my brother and I as kids.

You won't find it in the woods, but clothes dryer lint makes fantastic tinder. Does burn pretty quick though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My secret recipie is to use dead pine needles and the dead lower branches from standing pine/firs/spruces as small/medium tinder.

Evergreen wood is resinous and just WANTS to burn. Just never cook meat on a stick like a hotdog over evergreen wood. Good to start the fire but lousy for grilling.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 10-12-13 at 16:19.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Looks like you have a good helper there!

You have a very good point about outlining how to build a fire. I've talked to folks that have a magnesium firestarter or Bic lighter in their car "for emergencies", but have never actually built a fire in their lives. Nor do they have an idea how to do so. But "I've got a lighter, so I'm covered."

I have a mental image of them holding a lighter to a California Redwood trunk, and cussing profusely......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a good video on firestarting done by a buddy of mine (Dave-HuldraArms).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqnun7Oreo

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What knife is that? Kinda looks like a Randall but the spacers make me think it's not.

Feedback Score
    looks like fun was had by all!

i've been using a magnesium striker for a while. set several fires this weekend with it, as a matter of fact. love it.

one thing i don't have a ton of experience with yet, but that has made a great first impression on me is 'utilityflame'. so far, this stuff rocks. won't evaporate. leaves only sand behind. non toxic. no odor.

couple sparks from the steel and you've got a pretty much clear flame burning 1300* which will light wet wood. (i'm going to do a test this week, but going out on a limb here to guess it will)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do was start a fire using only items I found in the woods. A trick I learned a while back was to keep dryer lint in a zip lock bag to catch a spark.

Feedback Score
    but given that you don't find dryer lint in the woods, why not use something that will last for more than one use?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    but given that you don't find dryer lint in the woods, why not use something that will last for more than one use?
    I keep a snack bag full of it, and can probably get 3 fires out of that 1 bag if needed. I rarely use that stuff, it's more of an emergency situation supply. Almost every fire I start when camping involves a few ounces of camping fuel and matches.

I'm sure there are some cool alternatives on the market, but dryer lint is free and a seemingly never ending supply. I also have one of those magnesium blocks with the striker in the same pack.
    Last edited by JBecker 72; 10-13-13 at 20:45.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast