Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building a fire - fundamentals

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Much agree, char cloth is awesome.

And they make the tiny Altoids tins, have you seen those? Then you can carry a small portion in your pack or kit, and have a tin to make more.

That's a neat website with the tutorial, thanks for posting that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep a "clean" Altoids tin for carrying the char cloth in my pack as the one I use to make the char cloth is covered in soot and I don't want that stuff getting all over my gear.

Small Altoids tins......hmmm, need to check them out. Thanks for the tip!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    No problem, they are usually in that "impulse buy" area right next to the checkout stand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ire starting

a tube of shoe goo type stuff form the shoe shop.(its a shoe glue)
    works well. i am never w/o the following
    knife
    life boat matches
    steel wool
    fire tabs form survival inc
    shoe goo
    magnesium rod
    all small and can carry in small zip lock

cary l/b matche's, steel wool and mag rod duc taped tp my knife.

jjw

Feedback Score
    I tried some "Maya dust" a while back. Stuff was garbage. Wouldn't light after five minutes of constant sparks from a ferro rod. I really like the Wetfire cubes.

Feedback Score
    Birch bark is an amazing firestarter. The oils in it will light even when its wet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STONE-YARDER View Post
    Birch bark is an amazing firestarter. The oils in it will light even when its wet.
    +1, Also a big fan of lighter'/ Fat wood/pine knot. So widely available in south east, I don't even bother packing any.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
    I tried some "Maya dust" a while back. Stuff was garbage. Wouldn't light after five minutes of constant sparks from a ferro rod. I really like the Wetfire cubes.
    What is the shelf life like on those Wetfire cubes? I have thought about snagging some. Would they be okay to leave in a vehicle for a few years? Through the heat/cold cycles?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    What is the shelf life like on those Wetfire cubes? I have thought about snagging some. Would they be okay to leave in a vehicle for a few years? Through the heat/cold cycles?

Thanks.
    Per manufacturer, they should have a shelf life of 5 years. The key, and Wetfire's only weakness IMO, is that they will only last if the packaging is intact. If it's somehow busted, the shelf life drops to only about 3 months. I've pulled Wetfire cubes out of my car and lit them after going through some pretty hot and cold cycles for about a month or two, so as long as the packaging is intact, I would assume you're fine. Some folks apparently owned some cubes from the company back before they were even Ultimate Survival Technologies; after nearly 15 years in storage, they lit first time.

Now the upside to having a 3 month shelf life once opened is that you can reuse it. I don't think people who bash on this product utilize this aspect. You can light it, blow it out, and re-light it. It will be instantly cool once out. That means you can use just half a cube to light a fire, and use the other half later. Or you could even use the cube to light a larger bundle of tinder, shake it out, then use it again and again.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Cool, thanks very much for the info and detailed response.

Remember those small Pelican cases that the NRA sold a few years back? They had a mirror, whistle, Blastmatch and some Wetfire cubes? I snagged 5 or 6 of those, and was going to replace the tinder in them.

I am betting it was exactly what you said. The packaging probably got popped open, and that was what did them in.

I may just do the char cloth as an add-on to them. Never hurts to have multiple methods.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast