Thread: LR-308 buffer tube (receiver extension) posibilites?

Feedback Score

LR-308 buffer tube (receiver extension) posibilites?

I'm starting my build-up of a Fulton Armory FAR-308 (DPMS pattern lower).
    Will a Armalite receiver extension (7 3/4 inch buffer tube) work on the DPMS pattern lower while using an AR-15 CAR buffer (3.250 inch)?

Or, will the bolt carrier impact the buffer retaining pin or rear of the lower receiver requiring the 7 inch AR-15 CAR receiver extension while using an LR-308 carrier and bolt?

And, what spring would be needed if the Armalite tube and 3.250 inch buffer combination is workable?

My logic is that this will open a great deal of options for different buffer weights, anywhere from 3.0 ounces to 7.9 oz buffers and hopefully a variety of spring rates from Wollfe and Sprinco. better to tune the action for variety of loads and configurations while maintaining the greatest possible comparability.

Thanks.

Rich
    Last edited by RichM; 10-15-13 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can use an AR10 or VLTOR A5 receiver extension with a DPMS pattern lower. Just make sure you use an AR10 spring and a standard AR-15-length buffer.

My PWS MK216 came with a longer PWS enhanced receiver extension, AR10 length spring, and AR-15 buffer.
    Last edited by Plasman; 10-15-13 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    RichM, to answer your question, yes the Armalite AR10 carbine rec. ext. will work using a car length buffer. Just use the Armalite AR10 carbine spring.

I am running the Vltor 10A5SR rec. ext.(also 7 3/4 in.) and H3 buffer with an Armalite AR10 carbine spring all from DSG Arms. My Bushmaster ORC came with the 7 inch rec. ext., short buffer (2 1/2 in.)(3.8 oz.) and short spring. The buffer was to light. My thinking was like yours about the simplicity of the std. carbine length buffers and the tried and true Armalite rec. ext. length.

Bushmaster LR308 is a DPMS receiver, bolt and carrier.

Good luck with your build.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    RichM, to answer your question, yes the Armalite AR10 carbine rec. ext. will work using a car length buffer. Just use the Armalite AR10 carbine spring.

I am running the Vltor 10A5SR rec. ext.(also 7 3/4 in.) and H3 buffer with an Armalite AR10 carbine spring all from DSG Arms. My Bushmaster ORC came with the 7 inch rec. ext., short buffer (2 1/2 in.)(3.8 oz.) and short spring. The buffer was to light. My thinking was like yours about the simplicity of the std. carbine length buffers and the tried and true Armalite rec. ext. length.

Bushmaster LR308 is a DPMS receiver, bolt and carrier.

Good luck with your build.
    Thank you for the validation Bushytale.
    Did you notice any changes in cycling or recoil going to the heavier buffer and different spring compared to the stock setup?
    I'm playing with the idea of ordering the XH buffer (8.5 ounce 3.250 inch) from Heavybufffers.com.

I have a lot of reading to do over the next few months while this frankenstein-build comes together.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    Did you notice any changes in cycling or recoil going to the heavier buffer and different spring compared to the stock setup?
    I'm playing with the idea of ordering the XH buffer (8.5 ounce 3.250 inch) from Heavybufffers.com.
    You will certainly notice a difference in cycling and recoil with a heavier buffer. My friend has a DPMS-pattern gun with Slash's XH CAR buffer and that thing has a slow recoil impulse and you can tell it's cycling slowly (too slowly for my taste). It also practically drops the brass right next to you. I tried his XH buffer in my PWS and it had a similar effect. I've changed my buffer from a standard AR-15 CAR buffer to an H3 (5.4-5.6oz) to soften the recoil impulse.
    Last edited by Plasman; 10-16-13 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would use:
    VLTOR or Armalite RE10/A5/AR10 tube
    CAR H3 Buffer
    AR10 CAR spring

That is the "factory" AR10 CAR setup.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I would use:
    CAR H3 Buffer
    AR10 CAR spring

So what is the length of the AR10 CAR spring?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Around 14"

The same spring is used for AR10 rifle and CAR stocks.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...b-7f2ec6d594ce

http://heavybuffers.com/reference.html

Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    So what is the length of the AR10 CAR spring?
    Last edited by Clint; 10-16-13 at 22:40.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    The Armalite springs that I got from DSG measured 13.5 in. long, had 35 coils and a wire dia. of .072.

The heavier buffer along with the longer rec. ext. and spring smoothed out the recoil cycle and cured an extraction issue. I would start with an H3 buffer and see how it works. An XH 8.5 oz. buffer seems like overkill.

With the 16 in. medium weight barrel and a PWS FSC30 comp. it shoots real smooth with RG surplus.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would use:
    CAR H3 Buffer
    AR10 CAR spring

+2 on this setup. I have one with this exact configuration (A5/H3/CAR spring), and it runs great with 100% reliability. Ejects at the 5 o'clock position, 6-8 ft. I have also used a DPMS carbine buffer spring with no difference in operation as well.

The extra heavy buffers are a bandaid for an overgassed gun, IMO. 308 AR's have plenty of bolt mass, and a H3 provides ample "buffering" ability.