Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol Lower Laws

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

AR Pistol Lower Laws

I have searched for a definitive answer regarding the rules/regs/laws of building an AR pistol, but have come up dry.

If there is an existing thread that gives a definitive answer to my questions, please post the link and delete this thread.

I live in an SBR-friendly state, and I want to "build" my SBR upper into an AR pistol while I wait for paperwork to clear.

Can I build this pistol from a stripped lower?

Does the 4473 have to be filled out in a specific manner as to allow the stripped lower to be built into a pistol?

Is a stripped lower automatically considered "other" (vs. "rifle" or "handgun") on the 4473?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you look at the stickies in the NFA subforum? There's tons of info there.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't see any relevant threads. Not to mention that this is not an NFA related issue.
    Last edited by scooter22; 10-16-13 at 07:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. You can build the pistol from a stripped lower & specify "pistol" on the form.
    I have heard that it is not necessary to specifically specify it on the form as a pistol but more importantly to not make it easy to accept a stock for NFA reasons. I heard this at my local LGS so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 10-16-13 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. You can build the pistol from a stripped lower & specify "pistol" on the form.
    I have heard that it is not necessary to specifically specify it on the form as a pistol but more importantly to not make it easy to accept a stock for NFA reasons. I heard this at my local LGS so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent via Tapatalk
    That's the issue. It is my understanding that stripped lowers are specified as "other" on the 4473, i.e. there is no opportunity for my FFL to specify it as a "pistol" at this point.

So the question still remains whether I can build it into a pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    By that logic, the FFL can't specify it as a rifle either. If it is specified as "other", what difference does it make if it's a pistol or rifle? There is a space on the form I'm looking at where the FFL states if it is a "pistol, rifle, revolver, shotgun, etc".

Sent via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Stripped lowers are always "other" on form 4473.

A pistol lower can only be built from a stripped lower that has never had a stock attached.
    i.e. You can't take the rifle stock off a built lower and call it a pistol.

Some states require you to register the pistol as well.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-16-13 at 10:14.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I have searched for a definitive answer regarding the rules/regs/laws of building an AR pistol, but have come up dry.

If there is an existing thread that gives a definitive answer to my questions, please post the link and delete this thread.

I live in an SBR-friendly state, and I want to "build" my SBR upper into an AR pistol while I wait for paperwork to clear.

Can I build this pistol from a stripped lower?

Does the 4473 have to be filled out in a specific manner as to allow the stripped lower to be built into a pistol?

Is a stripped lower automatically considered "other" (vs. "rifle" or "handgun") on the 4473?
    Here is a sticky from AR15.com with letters people have received from the ATF about their AR pistol builds. Keep in mind this is in no way a legal defense if you were to get busted for some reason but it gives you an idea of what you can and can't do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Stripped lowers are always "other" on form 4473.

A pistol lower can only be built from a stripped lower that has never had a stock attached.
    i.e. You can't take the rifle stock off a built lower and call it a pistol.

Some states require you to register the pistol as well.
    That isn't technically accurate, if the lower has never had an upper attached (ie. a brand new complete lower) it is still considered "other" (receiver only) and has never been considered a rifle. You can still remove the stock prior to putting an upper on it and assemble it as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    That isn't technically accurate, if the lower has never had an upper attached (ie. a brand new complete lower) it is still considered "other" (receiver only) and has never been considered a rifle. You can still remove the stock prior to putting an upper on it and assemble it as a pistol.
    I think in some states stripped lowers MUST be registered as a rifle unless it is marked/built as a pistol. Not sure that is true or not but it is what I have heard (maybe NY or CA or someplace like that).

I know that what you said is correct for OK though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast