Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger SR-762…*looks interesting…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbynate View Post
    Sweet. I had read about the Magpul mag issue and have seen picks of the fix so I'm GTG there. I also heard the IMI mags work well and are only $16.95 from AIM surplus. I have 4 Magpul mags and 6 IMI mags and 3 pro mags to play with to see which ones I like best. I'm thinking modded Magpuls for the win. Gonna use a Trijicon TA11F for my optic and not sure what I'm gonna do for hand guards yet. The factory quad rail looks kinda funky..
    Haven't been able to hit they buy button at AIM as their shipping costs turn me off.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racklover View Post
    Haven't been able to hit they buy button at AIM as their shipping costs turn me off.
    Shipping was $14.37. I got 5 mags so in hand price of the mage was about $19.82. Same price or real close to Magpuls on sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbynate View Post
    Thinking about getting one. A guy has one with about 60 rounds through it with a Spikes trigger and 3 extra mags for $1550. S/N is 1000+... Worth the money?
    Just pick one up...NIB from Gunbroker for $1555 including shipping. S/N 14xxx. Haven't been to the range yet...that snow thing.....

Feedback Score
    I have one and love it. It really likes the Federal and Black Hills 168gr match.

Edited: I had one complaint, the factory trigger is horrible. Put a Geissel SSD-E in it and it.
    Last edited by enforcer22; 03-16-15 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    When DPMS gave me my money back for the G2 hunter that they had for several months without being able to figure out what was wrong with it, I bought an SR-762. Handloaded 150 grain Hornady BTSP's over 46 grains of Varget for 5 shots off the bags at 100 make one big 25 cent piece hole. WW "hog hammer" 150 grain bullets shoot almost as well. My gun has a Geisslee SSA-E trigger, a Larue LT104 and a Kahles 3.5-10 x 50. It is a heavy beast but it is truly a "hog hammer". It has shot fine with the 3 loads I have used in it, no problems of any type. Its probably only been fired 200 or so times however, I am using some of the 150 grain GMX solid copper bullets now, the 150 hornady's will kill a 200 or so pound pig but do not appear to shoot thru one with a shoulder shot sub 100 yards. I just prefer two holes in their carcass.
    Last edited by jimmyp; 03-20-15 at 05:34.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just read the entire thread. I want to thank everyone for taking their time to post their experiences with this rifle. For some reason I really want it to succeed. I have love the look of both the SR rifles since they came out. I held one at a gun show not too long ago and kind of fell in love. I love the handguard. I was originally thinking about an M1A scout model, as I love M1A's, but this is now on my radar. Any word on an upcoming 18" model? Also where are they selling the cheapest now?

Tokarev, I noticed you posted a viking QD rail attachment point earlier in the thread, do we know if that would work yet? I tend to like QD slings the best.
    Last edited by Dirty_H; 04-08-15 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_H View Post
    I just read the entire thread. I want to thank everyone for taking their time to post their experiences with this rifle. For some reason I really want it to succeed. I have love the look of both the SR rifles since they came out. I held one at a gun show not too long ago and kind of fell in love. I love the handguard. I was originally thinking about an M1A scout model, as I love M1A's, but this is now on my radar. Any word on an upcoming 18" model? Also where are they selling the cheapest now?

Tokarev, I noticed you posted a viking QD rail attachment point earlier in the thread, do we know if that would work yet? I tend to like QD slings the best.
    I too like M-1A's and used to say that if I could only own one rifle it would be an M-14 of some type. That's not necessarily the case nowadays and I'd be more inclined to recommend an AR-10 from whichever maker strikes your fancy and fits into your budget.

Anyway, the LPSM works well on the SR. It doesn't take up much rail space, positions the tactical sling so the rifle hangs correctly and doesn't poke out so as to be cumbersome when running barricade drills or slinging the rifle tight across the body, etc.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I just sent my 762 in to Ruger.
    Seems that the chamber reamer had chips stuck in it and weird marks were on the fired cases consistant with that.
    I thought CHF barrels had the chamber formed while being forged?
    The rifle fed well with the included steel dpms magazines and G2 magpuls.
    We shall see what Ruger says about the chamber.
    I had a fair amount of brass shavings in the action and the chrome was applied over the rough chamber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meistermash View Post
    I thought CHF barrels had the chamber formed while being forged?
    Ruger will replace the barrel with no problem. They have outstanding customer service.

Regarding the chamber; while it might be possible to machine the barrel and chamber out of the same blank I'm going to say that method would be highly cost prohibitive. More likely Ruger makes unchambered barrels in calibers and twist rates they can use across the various rifle lines. Once the barrels are produced they are machined to the appropriate contour and chambered for 30-06, .308 Winchester, etc.

Also I believe Ruger's chrome lining is all done by an outside vendor(s) so that adds one more possible breakdown in QC. Maybe as they get more things rolling in Mayodan they can rely more on complete inhouse manufacturing.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Well they were speedy at least and sent a spare magpul.
    Paper says polished the chamber and feed ramps.
    It looks like the barrel was removed for that.
    It looks surprisingly good.
    Must have had one hell of a polishing tool to polish down that chrome. Is the reason I didn't attempt it.
    Going to go try it in a bit.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast