Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 Federal AR

Feedback Score

338 Federal AR

There was a thread about an SBR 338 Federal AR but I didn't want to hijack that thread. This is a very interesting. Ammo is available and not expensive and 338 Federal ballistics are impressive. Would make a great white tail and hog gun with the potential of bigger game as well. Does anyone have feedback on a 338 AR (accuracy, reliability, etc) and what mags are used?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was thinking about this caliber as well for a hunting rig and would like to know more. It is indeed an impressive round. I would think it would use standard 308 mags without modification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I was thinking about this caliber as well for a hunting rig and would like to know more. It is indeed an impressive round. I would think it would use standard 308 mags without modification.
    Standard 308 mags for the 338 would be great. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 308 AR (leaning towards the LMT MWS). The 338 AR has a hunting rig should be excellent. Hoping someone has info. It looks like Armalite previously made an AR10T in 338 AR but it wasn't on there website; also I believe the LMT MWS works with the 338 Federal with a barrel swap but didn't see it on the LMT website.

Feedback Score
    Some mags do not stack well in .338 Federal, but beyond that, it can work well. It can make an excellent option for some.
    There is a thread in the NFA section that has one.
    I know LMT .338 users and they recommend it without hesitation except for the offered barrel length. Some guys offered this caliber before LMT did and made .338 barrels for this conversion, not sure if they still do.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    LMT still makes it (and in stock). It's a 20" barrel though. Ideally I would want a 14.5" pinned so I wouldn't have to SBR the whole rifle. I even have a 338 suppressor already to go!

The best route would probably have Marvin Pitts or anyone else that can do LMT conversions and make a barrel blank to your length spec.

I looked into it years ago, but I can't hunt with semi autos in PA, so it would just be an expensive range blaster for me. If I lived in Alaska, or a HOG state I would already own one.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    LMT still makes it (and in stock). It's a 20" barrel though. Ideally I would want a 14.5" pinned so I wouldn't have to SBR the whole rifle. I even have a 338 suppressor already to go!

The best route would probably have Marvin Pitts or anyone else that can do LMT conversions and make a barrel blank to your length spec.

I looked into it years ago, but I can't hunt with semi autos in PA, so it would just be an expensive range blaster for me. If I lived in Alaska, or a HOG state I would already own one.
    I don't see any 338 uppers or barrels on the LMT site. Checked BCM's store as well. Where are you seeing these in stock? Thanks

Feedback Score
    just found the 20 inch 338 barrel on the LMT store. I was really hoping for a 16 or 18 inch 338 upper. Is this compatible with the LMT MWS? Is buying a complete LMT MWS and doing the barrel swap the best (cheapest) way of getting into the 338 AR with LMT?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    just found the 20 inch 338 barrel on the LMT store. I was really hoping for a 16 or 18 inch 338 upper. Is this compatible with the LMT MWS? Is buying a complete LMT MWS and doing the barrel swap the best (cheapest) way of getting into the 338 AR with LMT?
    Probably not the cheapest. But 1 LMT MWS rifle allows you to have a bunch of different calibers (I have a 14.5" 308, 18" match 308, and a 20" match 6.5CM).

I personally would buy a 338 blank, and have a smith do a LMT conversion.

Link for anyone looking: http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrel...m338b220s.html
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=domestique;2173575]Probably not the cheapest. But 1 LMT MWS rifle allows you to have a bunch of different calibers (I have a 14.5" 308, 18" match 308, and a 20" match 6.5CM).

Link for anyone looking: [url]www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrels/308

If I only want the LMT 338 is there a way to get into that without getting the 308 as well? If I get the MWS with the standard 308 and buy the 338 barrel is that all that is needed to do the barrel swap which supposedly takes like 1 minute (I haven't done this this rad about it). Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Devildawg2531;2173586]
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    Probably not the cheapest. But 1 LMT MWS rifle allows you to have a bunch of different calibers (I have a 14.5" 308, 18" match 308, and a 20" match 6.5CM).

Link for anyone looking: [url]www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrels/308

If I only want the LMT 338 is there a way to get into that without getting the 308 as well? If I get the MWS with the standard 308 and buy the 338 barrel is that all that is needed to do the barrel swap which supposedly takes like 1 minute (I haven't done this this rad about it). Thanks
    You could sell the 308 barrel after the fact, or contact LMT directly.

Honestly, it would be cheaper to build a Mega Arms, or Aero Precision at that point. Or buy the cheapest AR10 out there, and have a smith convey the barrel..... All depends on the quality you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast