Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: New Ruger SR-762…*looks interesting…

Feedback Score
    Since I've not seen any activity since April, I was wondering if anyone had an update, good or bad, on the SR762. I've been waiting on BCM to announce a 7.62, but nothing. All reposts on this thread seem positive, and most/all customer issues were fixed by Ruger.

Primarily looking to put a 7.62 into my safe. Not really looking for a top shelf rifle, more looking for something reliable with decent accuracy.

So...any long term owners want to give me their latest perspective? Please, and Thank You...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Might wanna sit tight and see how the DD turns out.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

My Ruger SR762

I bought my Ruger SR762 late last Fall and just shot a few rounds through it to make sure it functioned properly, which it did. I have since purchased a Leopold 1.5X4 scope with mount and installed a CMC 4.5 pound trigger group. The factory trigger was pretty gritty. A couple of Saturdays ago I took it to my outdoor range for sighting in and a more thorough function test. I shot a mixture of factory hunting loads, mil surplus Federal and some German surplus. I used the provided MagPul magazines and an Israeli made one also. The rifle functioned perfectly without any hiccups. I burned through about a 100 rounds. Once I got the scope dialed in, it shoots great. It’s a substantial rifle and somewhat heavier than an AR style rifle in .556 but it’s shooting a .30 caliber round. I’m very happy with the rifle and would recommend it highly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After reading and reading and reading about all the .308 AR options out there, I honestly believe this will be my next rifle purchase.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems odd to me that the piston format on a 308 is not as derided as it is on a 223. Is that because there isn't a true standard on the AR10 format so some design difference is more tolerated?

Anyway, I haven't shot my SR-762 much since I used it in a Pat McNamara TAPS class but that's not because I don't like the gun. It has shown itself to be accurate, reliable and fun to shoot in my experience. It is probably the cheapest piston gun on the market and comes well set-up from the start.

On the downside it is a bit heavier than the DPMS GII Recon that has pretty much become my darling where the 308 pattern is concerned. I suppose that isn't a fair criticism because the Ruger is lighter than the SIG and the HK. Cheaper too.

I guess my only lingering complaint is that the gun is a bit overgassed. If I run my AAC suppressor installed with the gas setting on 1 it still runs hard and I've had a few stovepipes while shooting suppressed. I have been messing with heavier buffers and springs. Currently I'm using an H4 buffer from PWS and a stouter spring from Springco. No reliability problems with the heavier parts but I think a custom gas regulator or some type of further gas reduction would be best.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It seems odd to me that the piston format on a 308 is not as derided as it is on a 223. Is that because there isn't a true standard on the AR10 format so some design difference is more tolerated?
    Personally, I have no issue with piston setups, save what you nearly stated. With a DI AR, because of it's standardization and therefore proliferation, I can rebuild it completely on my own from any number of manufacturer's parts. With a piston setup, that's usually pretty proprietary, and therefore harder to find parts for to repair/rebuild, if the parts are even available for customer prchase at all to begin with, and then there's the individual piston rifle's nuances to deal with to top it all off.

For an AR that I plan to use for fun, as would be the case for the SR762, this is of no real concern for me. If it goofs up, it goes straight back to Ruger and I play with another rifle in the mean time. For a serious use rifle, I want full control over being able to repair/rebuild it as soon as possible, myself.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 09-05-15 at 16:49. Reason: Adult male thumbs - 0 : Phone keyboard - 1

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A couple thoughts on that:
    1) There aren't many .308 AR-style options at any price, and this appears to be the best overall quality you can find under $2000.
    2) I dislike proprietary parts, and especially with Ruger's service policy (where they apparently won't sell you spares for most parts), but Ruger does at least have a great reputation for service and a very high likelihood of still being in business 5, 10 or 25 years from today, which I can't say about many other companies.
    3) Although the front piston systems aren't generally needed, Ruger's design at least seems to be an OK design with some thought and engineering, and their original reported problems with carrier tilt seem to have been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    For an AR that I plan to use for fun, as would be the case for the SR762, this is of no real concern for me. If it goofs up, it goes straight back to Ruger and I play with another rifle in the mean time. For a serious use rifle, I want full control over being able to repair/rebuild it as soon as possible, myself.
    Strongly agree with this as well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who replied to my questions. I appreciate your feedback.

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    I had an SR 7.62. It ran fine. No problems with it. Until I went to get some spare/repair parts. Ruger would sell me a buffer spring and a complete bolt for $300. No extractor, no pins, no springs, no firing pin - just a complete bolt. That was the death certificate for me and the 7.62. I traded it for a new M1A Scout Squad and am very pleased. I have and can get repair parts for the M1A and am not beholden to Ruger.

I also built a PSA AR-10 and while it is a gas gun/impingement gun, I can get spare parts and tailor it the way I like.

The PSA AR-15s are just breeding like tribbles in my safe...

YMMV

USMA84DAB
    USMA84DAB

Thunder Ranch, TX
    General Purpose Rifle
    Urban Rifle
    Defensive Handgun
    Team Tactics

Gunsight
    General Symposium (Pistol, Rifle, Carbine, Shotgun)

Suarez International
    Designated Marksman
    Special Pre-Deployment Course

Rifles Only
    Precision I & II

20 year retired O-3 Cavalryman from the US Army.

3-7 Cavalry - Scout PL and Troop XO
    3-3 ACR - S-4
    135MI BN - S-4
    HHC/2CAB-137IN - CDR
    35ID G-3 - OPS Planner
    CGSC Graduate

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041