Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PWS MK 216 & SCAR 17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Not that I was constantly looking for three years. Just that it's been put on the back burner so to speak, and while I'm still planning to get a 308, I'm just not necessarily rushing to jump into it. I want to make sure to be smart about, and do it right.

I know looking back at it, it looks like this was one of those posts where the OP asks for advice just to end up ignoring it. That's not the case here, I've been doing a lot of reading here and I've learned a lot.
    What is your primary means of use with your .308? Hunting? Competition? 3 gun? Longer range plinking maybe? If I were not going to be humping the rifle around, I would not be concerned too much about weight. If you are going to add a nice piece of glass and a bipod, weight will increase anyway. I am a proud LMT MWS owner and I am using it as a long range plinker with a possible hog hunt in the future and that's about it. I reload for and have found some bullets the LMT likes. Of course you will pay a premium but if you can manage it, get the LMT. Buy once, cry once.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    What is your primary means of use with your .308? Hunting? Competition? 3 gun? Longer range plinking maybe? If I were not going to be humping the rifle around, I would not be concerned too much about weight. If you are going to add a nice piece of glass and a bipod, weight will increase anyway. I am a proud LMT MWS owner and I am using it as a long range plinker with a possible hog hunt in the future and that's about it. I reload for and have found some bullets the LMT likes. Of course you will pay a premium but if you can manage it, get the LMT. Buy once, cry once.
    HKGuns,

No offense was taken at all. I'm sorry if my post came sounding overly defensive, and thank you for your input.

I understand that the SCAR is a great gun for what it is, but in stepping up to a .308 I would like to use the caliber as more of precision/DMR rifle rather than a battle rifle.

As for my role with the gun, I would like to take some long range shooting classes. Something like the Dual Role Carbine Training class that was advertised on TOS. I've never been into bench shooting for groups. I would definitely like to go hog hunting for sure.

Feedback Score
    HKGuns,

No offense was taken at all. I'm sorry if my post came sounding overly defensive, and thank you for your input.

I understand that the SCAR is a great gun for what it is, but in stepping up to a .308 I would like to use the caliber as more of precision/DMR rifle rather than a battle rifle.

As for my role with the gun, I would like to take some long range shooting classes. Something like the Dual Role Carbine Training class that was advertised on TOS. I've never been into bench shooting for groups. I would definitely like to go hog hunting for sure.

Well for a duel role rifle the SCAR would be hard to beat. It's lightweight, ergonomic, and very accurate. There are guys on the FN Forum who run theirs out to long distance and others have mentioned hunting with them. I have two of them. I do not like the short handguard but that easily addressed. I do not like the looks of the factory stock and it's questionable if it should be changed out to an aftermarket one or not.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 03-24-16 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    HKGuns,

but in stepping up to a .308 I would like to use the caliber as more of precision/DMR rifle rather than a battle rifle.

I would like to take some long range shooting classes. .
    Since you've waited so long to purchase, I'll throw you a curve ball. If you really want a semi to use in a precision role I'd consider adjusting the caliber to something more like 6.5 CM.

Feedback Score
    The most practical way to do it is buying a scar 17s. That's also on my short list.

Feedback Score
    I have a SCAR 17S an LMTMWS and a LaRue OBR. The OBR is the most accurate by far. It is about the same weight as the LMTMWS.The only advantage the SCAR has is its lighter but groups open up if you shoot to fast or to many groups as the thin barrel heats up. Even with a cold barrel the SCAR isn't close to the accuracy off the OBR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123