Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PWS MK 216 & SCAR 17

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

PWS MK 216 & SCAR 17

CA's new AW Ban got delayed for now, so I have one more year to buy some semi auto rifles. I told myself I would get a .308.

Ideally, I would like the most reliable and accurate at the same time rifle. I would like it to be as light weight as possible as well. I know you can't have all of these qualities in one, but it seems the two choices come closest.

I know the AR platform is generally more accurate while the SCAR is a bit more reliable - at the cost of a little but of accuracy.

I've read plenty about the SCAR here, and for the most part it seems perfect, but I can't seem to find much info on the PWS.

The little info I did find on it were comments mentioning that it is as accurate as any other 308 AR, and more reliable than common for a 308 AR. Does anyone here have any experience with the PWS?

The down side to the SCAR is mags. I don't want to really change out the lower, and I know SR25 mags are far more common. Getting spare parts is also a factor.

In my situation this will be my one and only 308 semi auto. The intended role would be a battle rifle/DMR.

Thank you for any insight
    Last edited by w3453l; 10-20-13 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The market is awash with SCAR 17 mags, even 10 RD mags have been in stock. $32-35 each.

Spare parts - MGW has them, as well as HDD (not a fan of their products but they do stock FN OEM parts). Spares for any proprietary 7.62x51 rifle is always an issue, but they all have that issue to varying degrees.

No exp with the PWS.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 10-21-13 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm just about convinced to go with the SCAR, but if anyone has any input on the PWS I'd appreciate it. Of the little info I found on it everyone had nothing but good things to say about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a PWS MK216 Mod1 and thus far I like it. Compared to a couple buddies' DI .308 ARs it definitely shoots softer (the "dead blow" buffer in the receiver extension probably has something to do with it too). I like that it uses a standard AR-15 buffer so it's easier to find a new one to swap it out with (stock it comes with a CAR buffer, but I have an H3 I want to try in there). I did swap an ACS-L onto my gun to balance it out a bit, but it wasn't bad to begin with. The only two DI .308 ARs I've shot that were softer than the MK216 so far were tuned that way. One had a heavy 24" barrel and huge brake (you don't want to shoot this gun unsupported), and the other had way too heavy of a buffer such that the action cycled super slowly and barely dropped the brass out. It's definitely more pleasant to shoot than an M&P 10 or standard DPMS LR308.

I haven't had a chance to shoot very many rounds or groups using known good ammo, but hopefully I'll get to run some this weekend. Thus far I've only been able to get 1.5MOA using 168gr CBC "sniper ammo," but I'm also new at precision shooting and was resting off of an ammo can. This gun did not like CBC M80 ball (there seem to be poor reviews of this ammo in general), but had zero issues with Prvi M80.

I bought mine this summer from Red's Trading Post just before the MSRP increase (went up ~$200) because I thought CA's ban was going to go through too (and also because I wanted to avoid mandatory long gun registration next year).
    Last edited by Plasman; 10-21-13 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    I love my SCAR 17S.. i actually just bought another one this weekend, so my black one with/and the elcan scope is up for adoption.. best battle rifle available IMO.. parts and accessories can be easily found with a little searching, if and when you do join the SCAR family, join the FNForum.. SgtStryker will be your go to guy for all things related to the SCAR..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPiKapp View Post
    if and when you do join the SCAR family, join the FNForum.. SgtStryker will be your go to guy for all things related to the SCAR..
    that is unless you have a proprietary product that you dont mind getting openly reverse engineered on the site, then getting banned if you try to defend yourself, while getting libeled and slandered

but if you are cool with that type of treatment then join right on up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox33 View Post
    that is unless you have a proprietary product that you dont mind getting openly reverse engineered on the site, then getting banned if you try to defend yourself, while getting libeled and slandered

but if you are cool with that type of treatment then join right on up
    That pretty much sums up the idiots over there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since you put this in Precision Semi-Auto's and are in CA -- look to LMT or Larue.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkovich View Post
    That pretty much sums up the idiots over there.
    you have no idea how bad, it was seriously open slander and theft.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Since you put this in Precision Semi-Auto's and are in CA -- look to LMT or Larue.
    Those were the first two I looked at. I haven't been hearing too many good things about Larue lately + the wait time turned me off.

As much as I love LMT and the MWS, it is far heavier than I'd like. I know they came out with the LM8 MWS, but I heard the weight difference isn't all that much from the older version since most of the weight is in the barrel.

Is there any chance KAC will be coming out with a precision rifle not stamped with SR-25 in the near future? Perhaps SR-26?

I know that last part is just wishful thinking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast