Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: General Purpose rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I picked up a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06. Came with a Redfield 3x9 accurange scope that apparently was the scope the USMC used on the original M40 back in the day. Also has an old school military style leather sling.

Seems like a good start for my GP Rifle. Going to shoot as is for as while to see how I like the current setup. Only thing that is for sure going to get changed is the stock. The wood is to pretty for me to bang it up.

If I like the scope and find the light weight barrel lacking I might put in a medium weight barrel and turn this thing into a Vietnam era M40ish rifle.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Been seeing a lot of these Redfield packages. Are you planning on keeping it on? Are these scopes worthy of the rifle? Seems like the old adage 'spend as much on glass as on the rifle' might be obsolete.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    Been seeing a lot of these Redfield packages. Are you planning on keeping it on? Are these scopes worthy of the rifle? Seems like the old adage 'spend as much on glass as on the rifle' might be obsolete.
    That is my question. Its an older Redfield, not the same as the new Leupold owned company. Apparently the model I have was the original optic on the M40 back during Vietnam. I'd assume it should be a decent scope then but then again I try not to assume on those things.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update:

I recently was browsing my local for forums sale adds and came across a Husqvarna Mauser chambered in 270 and bought it.

It meets all the requirements of my GP rifle:

1. Controlled round feed action
    2. Internal magazine
    3. iron sights
    4. Chambered in a full powered cartridge that isn't 308

It came with a Weaver K4 mounted and 4 boxes of ammo. The K4 with get replaced eventually but Im going to give it a try.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Update:

I recently was browsing my local for forums sale adds and came across a Husqvarna Mauser chambered in 270 and bought it.

It meets all the requirements of my GP rifle:

1. Controlled round feed action
    2. Internal magazine
    3. iron sights
    4. Chambered in a full powered cartridge that isn't 308

It came with a Weaver K4 mounted and 4 boxes of ammo. The K4 with get replaced eventually but Im going to give it a try.
    My grandpa killed ALOT of animals with an old Weaver K4 on an M70. That 270 is a helluva round as well, congrats.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567